Working in an union business - my scholarship proofreading

duvuldil 1 / -  
Hello, I am applying to a scholarship that requires me to write a minimum of 500 words where I have to explain how I can persuade someone to join the work union. Here is what I have so far. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The Union Opportunity

Joining the Union is the best thing you could do as an employee. The union will fight for your rights instead of being against them. Joining the Union comes with many benefits, as a fellow union member, I believe being apart of this, has made me a better employee. I am very confident that I am in safe hands. I would beyond any doubt, persuade a non-union member to take into consideration the benefits it comes with being a member.

Being a union member gives you the ability to make your voice heard. Union representatives care for you and will treat you with dignity. A non-union member will face many obstacles that they will unfortunately have to face alone. They are not guaranteed health benefits, equality and fairness that is well needed when working for a well-known business. All union members are protected and given the right to speak up if needed. The union structure offers us union members, an opportunity to gain recognition. The union will adequately face the issues you have and help you resolve them when no one else will.

Being employed by a very busy grocery store, I know that I will be taken care of. A non-union member cannot say that for themselves. If you are currently working in a business that is flourishing day by day, and you are not guaranteed safety, health benefits, and assurance, you have made a huge mistake. The company you work for can drop you in a second with no remorse, no explanation whatsoever. I wholeheartedly would tell a non-union member to join and work for a business that will actually care for them and treat them as family.

The union is currently, giving me the opportunity to win a scholarship that will help me out tremendously with the cost of school. For someone who is working in a business that does not give them the opportunity to further their education, than that itself speaks a lot.

A non-union member at first glance, would not know anything about being apart of the union. If they were offered to join, they wouldn't know what to do because they were never given the option before. Since I have been apart of the union for two years, my experience would fit the criteria to convince someone who is not apart of a union. As stated above, there are many reasons to join the union. I have no doubt in my mind that I am capable of convincing a non union member to join something that will be a great asset in their lives in the long run.
kacanakya 5 / 12 3  
@duvuldil
Hi. First of all, you said that in this essay you have to "have to explain how I can persuade someone to join the work union." so I think the target of this essay is not to people you want to invite the union, but the scholarship administrator.

If that's so, then the essay should state what kind of activities you can do to persuade people.

I don't know if my understanding of the question is correct. I hope you can enlighten me.
Duvuldil, before you can convince a person to join the union, you must first explain to him the history of the union and workers rights.By showing the historical importance of being a union member, in relation to his current employment woes and other situations related to how he is treated as a worker, you can better convince him that joining the union has benefits. This is one instance where telling a person what the benefits of joining would be for him is not as convincing as showing him how he can benefit from it. In my opinion, you just need to revise the first half of this essay in order to portray the historical importance of the union. The most effective part of this essay will be the latter part where you explain to him how the union is helping you in securing your rights as an employee at the grocery store. By appealing to his sense of empathy, through your own experiences with the union, you will have a better chance of convincing him to join the union than you do using this particular version of the essay.

Persuading a person sometimes requires a lighter touch than a loud talking to. Using relevant examples, personal experiences that a person can identify with, a greater convincing opportunity is achieved. So tell the reviewer that you will use a historical perspective, a personal experience, and appeal to the sense of empathy on the side of the person that you hope you can convince to join the union. Those are some methods that you can use to convince a person to join a union.

Home / Scholarship / Working in an union business - my scholarship proofreading