The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page; Questbridge

vsanford64 1 / 3 1  
Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." I thought my life was stuck on that one page; a page where I only saw the Eifel Tower in movies and the Statue of David in history books. My family's income is very low; barely enough to pay the bills. Only in my wildest dreams did I picture myself traveling any time soon. Then I heard about a program called Tempe Sister Cities (TSC) halfway through my junior year and I decided to apply. If accepted, the program matches you with a foreign brother or sister to live with for 7 weeks, all traveling expenses paid. The application process was long. Over 100 people applied and only 30 were selected, I was one of them.

I was chosen to be an ambassador for the city of Regensburg, Germany. Seven other delegates and I spent our past summer living the life of a typical Bavarian. We learned the German culture, history, and language. The country was unlike anything I had ever seen before. Every day brought something new. From taking a tour of gothic cathedrals, to sitting by the river listening to street preforms play each day brought a unique experience.

This trip not only taught me how to be independent and self-reliant, it also allowed me to build great bonds with people I will never forget. My host family and I became incredibly close during my visit. I lived with my sister (Isabella), her brother (Lukas), and mother (Regina). Despite the language barrier, they accepted me as another member of the family. I acted with them just as I would with my own family; by doing chores, helping with dinner, and just spending time together.

Every night we would have family dinner together. The food was so good I couldn't help but to overeat. One night after a big meal I exclaimed "I have a food baby" at the dinner table. The room fell silent and I could tell that my family was confused by what I had just said. After a short pause my mother whispered to me "Who is this father?" I couldn't help but laugh. I explained to them that having a 'food baby" doesn't mean that I'm pregnant, just simply that I am so full I feel bloated and heavy. We all laughed at the misunderstanding and from then on the term 'having a food baby' became a common phrase in the house.

My host family gave me so much and I was so grateful to have lived with such wonderful people. The entire trip was an experience of a lifetime that I will never forget. Through Tempe Sister Cities I have built friendships and memories that I will never forget with people from the opposite side of the world.
My family's income is very low; barely enough to pay the bills. Only in my wildest dreams did I picture myself traveling any time soon.

.... I feel you better combine these two lines;
With my family's poor income it was only in my wildest dreams did I picture myself traveling any time soon.

Then I heard about a program called Tempe Sister Cities (TSC) halfway through my junior year and I decided to apply. If accepted, the program matches you with a foreign brother or sister to live with for 7 weeks, all traveling expenses paid. The application process was long. Over 100 people applied and only 30 were selected, I was one of them.

Then I heard about a scholarship program called Tempe Sister Cities (TSC) which said, " If accepted, the program matches you with a foreign brother or sister to live with for 7 weeks, all traveling expenses paid". Without hesitation I did apply.The selection process was long and finally among 100 applicants, 30 were selected. To my greatest excitement, I was one among them.
c_lignelli 5 / 11 3  
The anecdote about the food baby was hilarious! Did you consider moving it to the top for a quick, catchy, intro before you expand on the topic?[

quote=vsanford64]I lived with my sister (Isabella), her brother (Lukas), and mother (Regina)[/quote]-- her use commas instead of parentheses.

just spending time together

-- Doing what?
mjw_az 1 / 4  
I would suggest that you give credit to the author of your opening quote to make sure you are not accused of plagiarism. There a lot of cites that will help you with this.

Home / Scholarship / The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page; Questbridge