Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 3

Disadvantages of Single Sex Schools - Debate Essay

1needhelp 1 / -  
I'm trying to write a persuasive essay for a debate I'm having soon

Debate Essay

Single sex schools are popular within faith schools and some schools who believe there are associated academic benefits. Everybody assumes that having single sexes schools are a good idea because then boys do not feel like they have to compete with each other because of the girls. Parents believe that boys would be more involved and focus with their education if girls were not in the surroundings. However, single sex schools are not even supposed to exist because boys and girls will not have a chance to interact with each other. Having single sex schools will cause a lot of drama and unnecessary disruptions to classes. As a result, single sex schools should be banned to give children to give a better education and interacting with other others.

In the world, boys and girls have to interact with each other and learn from their specialties. Likewise, boys and girls if in a "single - sex schooling reduces boys' and girls' opportunities to learn from and about each other" (Eliot). It will give boys and girls a harder time in the future to interact in the real life. Rather than segregating boys and girls to different schools ,this is important developmental time to take advantage. Also, not long before the youth will be the parents, co - workers, and leaders of tomorrow. This is a time for boys and girls to learn and work together for better future opportunities. In contrast, single sex schools will affect their life in the future when working with the opposite sex. Therefore, single sex schools would majorly affect his/her life if did not have the opportunities interacting.

Indeed, single sex schools does nothing produce better achievement outcomes compared coeducation. While having "single-sex schooling does nothing unique to improve academic achievement gender segregated classrooms are detrimental to children" (Eliot). Although, developmental psychology has clearly shown that teachers labeling and segregating of social groups increases stereotyping and prejudice. For example, creating separate math classes for "African American students" and "white students" will increase students stereotyping. It will affect the classes and students behavior towards learning and not concentrating well. As well as, making classes unfair to students who are being segregated feel its discriminating. Eventually, single sex schools not only does not improve student to achieve a goal in life, but turns them stereotypical.

In fact, a research on peer relations indicates that children interact mostly with same gender develops increase narrow skill sets and interests. Although, a developmental "research finds better health outcomes among children who develop a mix of skills and interest" (Eliot). For instance, boys who spend more time with other boys become more aggressive; girls who spend more time with other girls become more sex type. Thus, children will be one - dimensional peers than peers in a mixed school who are multi-dimensional in interests. Also, single sex school can interrupt student's skills because there are focuses to be doing the same every day. This gives students less prepared to adventure the real world where students who went to mixed schools can work better. Nevertheless, in a mixed school students can develop difference skills and interest to be fully intelligent in the future.
hahong 6 / 11 5  
having single sexes schools are a good idea

---> sex, is

boys would be more involved and focus with their education if girls were not in the surroundings

----> on

it will not be an environment any parents that wants their child to be in order to be educated.

----->it will not be an environment that any parents want their child to be educated.
JeremyofAL 1 / 2  
1needhelp
Single sex schools are popular within faith schools and some schools who believe there are associated academic benefits.

My suggest for rewording...

Single sex enrollment is popular within faith based schools and other instituitions who believe there are associated academic benefits.

Home / Speeches / Disadvantages of Single Sex Schools - Debate Essay