Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 5

Graduation Speech - "The Present"

kimisizer 6 / 16  
This is my valedictorian speech. The theme was to talk about the present.

As humans, we tend to focus too much on the past or the future. However, we fail to live in the present and walk the path that matters - the path that leads to change. Yes, living in the present does require learning from past mistakes, and thinking of future consequences, but it also requires cherishing the moment. It is hard to forget and it is hard not to predict, but living in the present is how we can make a difference.

And that is exactly what we are doing today. As we step into this next phase in our lives, we are making a difference not only to the world around us, but also to ourselves. By having reached this concluding point, we have proved to ourselves that these last four years of our lives were worth it. Those all-nighters spent on writing English essays. Those countless hours dedicated to winning sports championships. That one week of hell put aside to produce an amazing play. Looking back, all these memories were well-worth it and were accomplished by focusing on the present.

How can we focus on the present today? Well, for many of us, this day is not only to bid farewell to our beloved home of Wallkill but also a day to put on our grown-up shoes and greet the world of higher education, careers, and military service. But let's not be so eager to say good-bye to Wallkill. We want to be able to look back at this exact moment and clearly remember the pride and excitement we felt; not what college we were going to or the regrets we had throughout high school, but how this day was just perfect. This day should not be a day of forgetting but a day worth remembering.

And, for the first time in a while, we can all breathe a sigh of relief. Four years of friendship, laughter, and hard work have led us here and only great things await us in the road ahead. But for now, let us spend these last few months living in the present, forgetting about past mistakes and not worrying about our future.

My fellow Wallkillians, it has been an absolute pleasure embarking on this memorable journey with all of you and I wish each one of you the best of luck in the future and although we are never coming back, we will never forget because, "while memories may fade, they are never lost".
ceraclep - / 2  
FABULOUS!! I would not have changed one word! Congratulations!
Hoang nam - / 1  
I love it, It is meaningful and touching. What thing you need to be correct?
Enjoyed reading your speech... well done...

Since you talk about living in present, though of sharing this quote of Lord Buddha;

"Do not dwell in the past because it is already dead and gone, do not dream of the future because future is not yet born, concentrate the mind on the present moment and live in the present wisely and earnestly. - Lord Buddha

Good Luck!
OP kimisizer 6 / 16  
Thank you! The speech was a success and I'm off to college!

Home / Speeches / Graduation Speech - "The Present"