Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 2

Our internet should be more secure.

thatguy512 1 / -  
Speech Outline
Introduction:
---Many of yeah know me as that guy that knows his way around a technology.
-- I'm here to spread a bit of my knowledge. Many of us here are familiar and also sick of those random spam messages we get on sites such as Twitter and Facebook. Ever wondered why it happens? Unfortunately the internet is very insecure and there are numerous possibilities on how it happens since our internet has many unprotected loopholes that provided access to info we thought was protected.

--- Your private information could open doors for many bad things such as unauthorized access to your money, email, social networking sites and many others.

---Thesis: Many of our internet users today have the feeling that their personal information is protected online, when in reality our internet is not as secure as we think and should be more secure.

Body Paragraphs
I. Our internet today is used for a wide range of tasks like social networking, gaming and paying bills. In our modern age the internet has exploded from that old dial-up connection to having everyone connected wirelessly. Every electronic device acts as a thread(simile) binding us to the ever expanding web we know as the internet(simile). If we go back to the origin of the internet we find that it was never designed to be secure, but to be open to exchange info. In an article written by Ashish Mohta he states that the "Web was never designed to be secure," and from this we can understand a little about why we have so many insecurities in our web today. On social networking sites some people express themselves and post things about their lives under the impression that their privacy settings protect them when in reality they don't. An article written Jay Stanley, the Senior Policy Analyst for ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) tells a story of an innocent (connotative) 12-year-old middle school student that had posted something about her life on her Facebook only to have it shown to the principal who then punishes her for free speech outside of school in school. She continued to make post while being monitored by her principal. With her civil right being violated ACLU took the school district to court and won. No matter how young or old privacy affects us all.

II. Our internet should be more secure hugely because it relates to our privacy! Our 4th amendment right! (allusion) Not only do we conduct business and work online but we also pay bills and make online purchases. With billions of dollars floating around the internet you'd want to be sure your money isn't stolen over the internet by conniving (connotative) hackers. Myself being a victim to credit card fraud, I understand the frustration involved with knowing that someone else has your personal financial info. Even government documents are not secure with today's security. There are organizations such as Wikileaks that publishes secret information and news leaks that crooked (connotative) governments would rather have kept secret.

III. The origin of the web was first designed to be open to everyone for the purpose of sharing information and can be a great tool when you have information you want to spread globally quickly. You could even help aid the process of spreading info by utilizing methods the otherwise wouldn't be possible against a more protected world wide web(alliteration) .With little or no security it would be easy for governments to monitor suspicious activity and censor out what displeases the tyrannical(connotative) government over the web.

IV. Even though the main reason for the creation of the internet was for the spreading of information, it is no longer the main reason. The web has become inflated with so many different uses and services and would benefit tremendously. If the web was left vulnerable and open to everyone they're wouldn't be any fresh, private data to have a need to share with the world as people would simply take it.

Conclusion:
Internet security is a topic many people don't ever think about but it actually affects many things in our lives. The internet can affect our money, entertainment, personal information, and even national security. It's time to take a step up and restructure the way our internet and security works so we can continue to benefit from this great tool.

Im absolutely terrible with Rhetorical Strategies and this speech requires: Can anyone provide feedback on the ones i already have and possible help add whats missing?

1.Antithesis
1.anaphora/repetition
1.Tricolon/Parallelism
2.ex of figurative language
6.Connotative language
1.syntactical variation
1.Rhetorical question
1.Allusion
mzontario 9 / 43  
Our internet today is used for a wide range of tasks like social networking, gaming and paying bills. In our modern age the internet has exploded from that old dial-up connection to having everyone connected wirelessly.

SUCH AS social networking ...

In our modern age, (comma)

Use the oxford comma.

Not only do we conduct business and work online, we also pay bills and make online purchases.

Avoid contractions if possible.

Home / Speeches / Our internet should be more secure.