Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 2

Success and happiness - do what you want to do and love what you love; Speach

iamjunnie 1 / -  
Speech : Success and happiness

Ladies and Gentleman,
I want to talk about what everyone wants: success and happiness. No, I'm not writing a thesis or neither am I trying to give you a philosophy lesson. I'm here to talk about two very simple things. That's it. Just two simple things. Success and the real meaning of happiness.

Now of course, everybody wants to be successful. So, what is real success? Ralph Waldo Emerson said his definition of success was to laugh often and to win the respect of intelligent people. A lot of students say that going into a good university is success. Some people say getting into a high position in society is success. What is your definition of success? Becoming a professor teaching at a famous university? Becoming a CEO of a famous company? Some may be the same, but as you see every person's definition of 'success' is different.

Do you think that people who earn a lot of money, is in a high position or is an A-list superstar is successful people filled with happiness? Not really. That person is just wealthy in a sense, they may not feel happy as you.

Winston Churchill said that "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It means you need to work harder. So try hard. That's where happiness is. Whatever you want to be, whatever you want to do, even when somebody said that it's a 'stupid idea' or 'it's unrealistic' even 'you're going to fail'. Don't lose your enthusiasm just because someone said anything. Do what you want to do and do what you believe is great work. There's always a way. This is true success and true happiness.

So, I believe that real success and happiness comes from doing what you want to do and loving what you love. That is the real definition of success to me. What's your definition of success?

This is a speech.
I need some stuff to add and more things to edit and tips?
Thanks sooooo much.
Jame, you have used the definition of success and happiness by two different people in this essay. However, you have not given your personal definition for the two words. The lack of personal definition on your part creates a detachment with the reader and makes this a textbook speech instead. The hook does not exist at the very beginning because you present the topic of your speech in an academic manner. Almost like a professor beginning a class. Lose that type of academic formality and opt for a personal encounter type of opening statement. For example, you could open with a story or anecdote about a successful person. That way you can give a definition for the two terms without actually giving a lecture. Instead, you will allow your listeners to discover the meaning of the words for themselves. There is a definite need to expand upon the final portion where you define the meaning of success and happiness for yourself. It is too short and does not allow for any type of audience connection on your part. Create the connection in order to make a more effective speech. Inspire people with the definition of the two words from 3 sources. Don't just give a lecture or textbook definition and then call it a speech.

Home / Speeches / Success and happiness - do what you want to do and love what you love; Speach