Unanswered [0] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Home / Student Talk18

What's the biggest writing fail in your writing?

Essayist  
Just want to talk slightly offtopic...

Please tell what's you biggest writing fail in your life?
Maybe some mistype or f-word in a Shakespeare essay, or something...

This is your first post? Are you gathering stories to publish on a Fail blog? If I tell you about the time that I used the word semen in an English essay and so offended the teacher that she asked the dean to switch me to a different teacher, is it going to come back to haunt me? (Actually, semen was very appropriate in the context of the essay and the dean agreed, but the teaser is more intriguing than the actual story).
This does sort of raise the question of why you want this information. It could be a very interesting thread, though, if you can convince people that their posts won't find their way onto other sites.
Don't you mean "worst error"?

Fail is slang. When you do something stupid, you fail. When you hurt yourself, you fail. In teenage vernacular, it is a way to rudely point out others' less-than perfect moments. Yelling "You fail!" or "Epic fail!" is a cruel way of bringing attention to someone's misfortune. When I think about it, "fail," as used by teens, is more of an interjection (kind of like WTF, OMG, epic, or woot).

So ... the grammar isn't the best in the original post making the meaning unclear, but I believe that the author is using "fail" in the slang. I still can't figure out what the author is after though. Why this as a first post?
No worries, Simone. If you went around saying, "This sentence is a comma splice. Fail!" you wouldn't have the same esteem in my eyes. It originated with the on-line gaming community. I don't see you playing on-line games (okay, I can see you playing on-line Scrabble, but I would doubt if those players would use fail in the same way).
OP Essayist  
I did it for lulz.

Just want to read some funny stories like the story about semen.

Promise I won't repost...
One of my worst fails was when my class was prompted to write in first person about our summer (this was 5th grade remind you) and I thought first person meant using words as if you were talking... ohhh yeeaauh. "So then we went to the store and stuff and I was like ohmahgod look at that, isn't that like mad cool and stuff... for real check that stuff out like oh yeah".

I know it sounds like a youth mistake but I was so embarrassed when she read it in from of the class.
I think lots of people will find grammar and vocabulary are hard to deal with. You may need to learn more vocabulary and use it properly,and that would me a long process to learn. As some people mentioned above,reading have more beneficial.
Almost similar to other people, dealing with grammars, mother-tongue intervention, and of course, my mood, are several writing problems I am facing. Sometimes, the rules of punctuation make me confuse a little bit. Composing an essay with mixed structure and lots of sophisticated words is quite intricate as well, especially if you are asked to write under time limits.

But I think all of the above issues are not the obstacle for us to write. We made a mistake and we can learn something from it. This encourages me to get closer to the world of writing, for instance, joining the EssayForum.
I see this thread was brought back. Sweet.

The f-bomb. Well, the only time I've ever used that was in poetry and it was always well received by my professors.
My general writing failure is being overly, extremely, exceedingly, and remarkably verbose. Yup, I'm, super wordy.

Once, in class, my professor had us add punctuation marks to this: "Woman without her man is nothing." Well, none of the other females in the class liked me when I made it "Woman, without her man, is nothing" All the females translated it to "Woman: without her, man is nothing." It was a great lesson on the effect of punctuation.
Hi fellas, I've been learning English writing for a year in order to achieve good IELTS score. Over the time, I've several barriers in writing such as building the idea and misspelled the words. Yet, my biggest problem is bad handwriting.

I had taken IELTS before, I got 5.5 in my Writing section. My friend told me it could be caused by my handwriting that made the examiner hard to understand.

I still endeavor my handwriting so that the examiner could easily understand my essay.
Hi essayist,

Related to this topic, for me it is about writing passage in which didn't relevant with the topic or writing an essay that didn't answer the task respond. Personally, I also take into account that generally, the academic writing is one of difficult writing model to figure out.

In addition, there are several mistakes that I happen concern with writing, such as subject-verb agreement or event misspelled.

Best regard

Home / Student Talk /