Unanswered [9] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES

Student Talk Posts: 14

I am a bit shy, when I have to speak in English, I always worry about my mistakes; I lack confidence

phuongtran 2  

English speaking and writing problems

I am a bit shy, when I have to speak in english, I always worry about my mistakes, I also lack confience, my friends say they just talk to talk, they get messeges across, my teacher says If I do not try learn English, I never be able to use it when I need it, I think I do short consevation my self. I do this my room I think It works.

Holt [Contributor] 1549  
Tran, I can sense that you are feeling frustrated and possibly hopeless about your English speaking and writing problems. Let me tell you, unless you were born speaking English from the crib, you won't be at the level of a native English speaker unless you have had decades of practice speaking and writing in a pure English environment. It is important that you do not lose hope at this point in your lessons because you are not doing bad with your lessons. It is all about finding your comfort zone when it comes the English language. Some people, learn by watching television and reading English materials as often as possible. Others, choose to spend time with native English speakers in their neighborhood or places of social interaction so that they can practice both thinking and speaking in English. As for writing, that is something that happens naturally as you become more familiar with thinking and speaking in English. The paragraph that you wrote above shows your potential in writing. While it is not perfect, you are writing well enough for a native speaker to understand what you are saying. Don't worry about the mistakes. A native English speaker will make allowances for your grammatical mistakes. It will never be perfect because it is not your mother language. The native speakers understand that. What I am trying to tell you is this, practice makes perfect. Don't let the impressions of other people regarding your English skills affect you. They do not know your true potential and do not realize that, in your own way, you are already able to use English, in one form or another, when you need it.
OP phuongtran 2  
Hi @Holt ,

Thanks for your advice. The important is the best to learn by doing.
Thanks indeed
nhantran 1  
Well, you know. I used to be like you. I know the only reason that all of English learners can't speak English is that they don't practice it frequently and they are always afraid. You can find a partner to practice together or just join any English club. If you are in HCM city, you can find Language Exchange Coffee House. there are many people there speaking English everyday. I hope this useful for you.
Writer2037  
Nothing should be regarded as "easy" when it comes to learning a secondary language. You find learning English hard? Yeah, that's normal. Really there is nothing wrong with it. Just keep going, after all the hours you put into learning it, eventually you will realize how improved your skills are someday.
BigBoy  
@phuongtran
Practice makes perfect. If you practice regularly, you would definitely improve even beyond what you ever thought. Endeavor to rehearse at least few hours a day and constant conversations in English with other English speaking friends would help improve both your vocabulary and confidence.
Memduh 1  
WE all were once shy to speak in English, if I tell you my stories about speaking English for the first time, you will tell yourself; oh no I am in better condition.

no one is born perfect. stick to your goals and never care what others say
lalasihcing  
I am shy either but I think the best way to improve our speaking skills is to jump out of the comfort zone and try to keep talking with other people in English. I am afraid of making mistakes. However, if I don't use it, I will not know my mistakes and have a chance to fix it. Never say die~keep going~~
Ashkan123 2  
I agree with HOLT and I want to share my experience.I was same as you and still, I am. I can not write or speak very well. but recently, I got improved. Do you know why? I tell you why.Because I admit that my English skill is not good enough, and I need to improve it, therefore, I am not shy anymore. before I always didn't interact with other people because I was worried that they may find out I can not speak English very well.but this is not the case anymore.Now, I know that my English needs to improve so I am not shy that any else find this incompetence because I've already known that my writing and speaking skill is not perfect or even acceptable.That's why I start to write a lot and speak with native language speakers. you need to accept that your English skill is not acceptable and you are working on it.
Ridho Kodel 2  
Dear @phuongtran,

We have the same problem Dude, but I always keep my chin up to any hurdles I find during my study. I sometimes collect the constructive feedbacks I obtain as my personal note. As I find my self get distracted of no improvement, I open personal note which I can see that I am not that bad. Focus to the little step you made, tip toe if you must, but take the steps!

Best
PolinaProto  
Im not a native speaker myself. But what really helped me is watching videos on youtube; they dont require too much time or work but they really do help you to work on pronounciation and get a "sense of the language". Just pic something you enjoy and watch native speakers talking about it
Codex1717  
Not being able to speak or write well in English may look like a setback but don't allow it pull u back.
Just keep practicing and devote time to reading books as a leisure. Progress may be slow but don't get discouraged.."little drops of water makes a mighty ocean"..keep trying, keep progressing and one day you will reach your goal..
Michell20 3  
Hey, you are definitely not alone. I am also shy about my English but for sure it used to be worse around two years ago. However, just like you I recognized that my English needed an improvement and I did my best to make that improvement happen. I am sure your English is not as bad as you think, keep practicing and do not ever think of abandoning. The simple fact that you know at least some words in English in order to communicate properly talks a lot about you as a person, because you took the decision to learn a new language when there is people around the world that do not even try. Nobody said it was easy :) here are some tips to improve that worked for me:

- Read something that you like. For me reading in English was frustrating because there were many words that I didnĀ“t understand and I HATED THAT, but what I did is that instead of reading books I started with some easier stuff such as fanfictions or just shorter books.

- Watch youtube... really, it helps a lot.

- Watch things with English subtitles. It can be movies and tv shows that are already in English or even those that are in another language. For example I like anime and korean dramas and I always watch them with Eng subtitles.

- Enroll in an English course. Tbh my first English course was terrible, however, I did learn from it. It helped me with my grammar and with my speaking abilities because there were some nice teachers that were willing to help and talk about anything, including Harry Potter and Taylor Swift.

Have a great day!
summerlin 2  
Tran
We all learn from mistakes. So don't feel ashamed about making mistakes. If you try to look at things from another aspect, say you have a friend is not a Vietnamese and makes mistakes while trying to talk to you, would you be upset about his language? I assume you won't, because you know that he's not a native speaker so it's ok to make mistake and he will become better as time being.

Just come up here and seeking for suggestions for improvement is an amazing thing to do.
Here are how my methods of self-studying, and they are free. Just for your instance, I got my IELTS score for listening:8, reading:6.5, speaking:6.5 and writing. I know this is not a very remarkable score. But most of the friends of mine have to go to a cram school to get these score, and they spent a lot of money for this.

1.Youtube: Go and search any kind of English video you like, it will definitely help your listening and enlarge your vocabulary.
There are some talk shows I'd like to introduce: Ellen show, Late Night Shows. You can learn daily conversation from these channels.
Also, there hundreds of native English teachers you can suscribe, they teach well.

2.Learn from your neighborhood. I have no idea what it's like in your country. But in my country we have Chinese signs with English subtitles. So when ever I curious about the word, I'd write down and find the translation. "Google Translator" is your friend.

3.Patience. It takes time to perfect everything.You'll just need to keep learning and don't give up. Memorizing a word everyday, if you want ,you can do up to 3 words per day.

Despite my English is not good enough to be called perfect. But I am happy with where I am and I know I will be better and better. When I was younger, I couldn't make a sentence but I keep working on learning English so now I get to share my experience with you in English. Isn't it Amazing?

And the most important thing is:
Don't worry about the people who making fun of your mistakes, they do not deserve your attention.

Home / Student Talk / I am a bit shy, when I have to speak in English, I always worry about my mistakes; I lack confidence