Home / Student Talk   % width Posts: 40

Common Application Essay won't upload!

fabxx 9 / 6  
Hey,

My common application personal essay won't upload! I tried converting it into pdf, txt. I tried logging out and back in again. I even enabled my popup blocker. But it won't upload! Any help? My deadline is approaching FAST!
college_seeker 5 / 6  
First, try using another browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox. If this doesn't work, then try using another computer in your household. I had a problem like this and I waited an hour, and then I was able to upload my essay, so it could just be a server problem that they are experiencing. The worst case scenario is that you have to contact your colleges and explain your late application to them...
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
wow this is happening to me also right now...

why is it that only the personal essay won't upload but the rest of my supplemental essays can upload?!?!
Blondie 1 / 5  
I guess this is happening to everyone.None of my essays won't upload!This is extremely frustrating.
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
I just finished all my supplements and revisions on my common app essay...and none of them can upload. Its in the correct format. Its not above the size limit. ... it keeps saying "Error uploading the file. Please try again"

By the way, If anyone finds a way to fix this or is having the same problem please post!
jeziker 2 / 10  
SAME HERE. both commonapp and supplement dont work for me D:
Blondie 1 / 5  
So what do we do?Because I don't want to contact the universities and tell them about this.It would look bad on me,I should have uploaded my essays earlier.

Besides,if the deadline passes, I can't submit my app online,right?
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
Its weird cuz i uploaded fine an older version of my essay like earlier on today. But now i try uploading my revised and it doesn't work at all...I think we should try like common app tech support first or something.
jeziker 2 / 10  
are most of your deadlines on 1/2 or 1/1?
if they are on 1/2 then i guess we can wait till tmr?
or deadline on 1/2 actually means before 1/1 midnite D :
zowzow 10 / 175  
no deadline of 1/1 means 1/1 11:59pm EST
and so 1/2 means 2nd of januaray 11:59 pm EST

i think this is shown somewhere in the common apps site.
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
Still...none of my uploads work. Anyone else having a problem?
zowzow 10 / 175  
probably because so many other people are trying to do so too. overloaded internet site stuff maybe. mine was fine though lol
Blondie 1 / 5  
I contacted tech support and they said they fixed it.Yeah,right!
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
wow they said they fixed it but didn't bother to check?
This is starting to piss me off. I just want the damn uploda to work.

And zowzow when did u upload yours? like hours ago? or recently?
zowzow 10 / 175  
i uploaded my supplement like 6 hrs ago
but then again, it wasn't a document upload, it was a copy and paste job
maybe that was why?

i uploaded my common apps one ages ago though
jeziker 2 / 10  
MINE IS STILL NOT WORKING AND ITS STARTING TO GET ANNOYING.
sorry for the aggressiveness.

seriously?they fixed it?
Blondie 1 / 5  
still not working...anyone succeeded?
zowzow 10 / 175  
you still have more than 12 hrs left till the deadline. just give it a few hours
jeziker 2 / 10  
Solution: Thank you for contacting the Support Team.

We apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing and appreciate your patience. Please try to upload your document again in about 1 hour.

Again, thank you for contacting us; please do so again if you need additional assistance with this incident.

Regards,
The Support Team

hmmm
angel101 1 / 16  
i just tried again...it uploaded!!!! pheww...i was so scared..

hope it works for everyone :) goodluck
steph1111 - / 2  
I still have the same problem. HELP!

Please tell me the Support Team contact infromation. THANKS!
angel101 1 / 16  
their email address is : application_help@commonapp.net

try again in an hour or so, it should work :)
Blondie 1 / 5  
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck everyone!
steph1111 - / 2  
Okay. FINALLY, i update load it.
jeziker 2 / 10  
ok. still not working
do you have to log out and log in again after an hour?
or u just leave it there?
goshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
angel101 1 / 16  
i logged in and logged out repeatedly each time when i tried to upload it...and it ended up working.
OP fabxx 9 / 6  
it's working. you guys should try and upload the essays! Good luck!
songhyunwoo 3 / 7  
Same thing happened here, you HAVE to use Internet Explorer
JSFlash 9 / 30  
Guys the same thing happened to me. Me and tech support are tight after all the tickets I've sent 'em. Try the following:

>DISable your popup blocker. It shouldn't be enabled
>Never click "back" to get to the common app page to load the essay
>Close your browser (i use firefox), reboot your computer, then try again
>Make sure the files are under 500kb
>If all this hasn't worked, tell tech support, and they'll have you send them the files in an email, with info on which college you're sending it to, what essay choice topic it is, your username, what version of your app it's going on, and whatever else they ask for, and they'll upload it for you

Stop coming down on tech support. They're working hard around the clock for everyone who was too lazy to get started on apps earlier.
skullcandy527 1 / 7  
it should work fine for everyone now.
I just tried it and it worked unlike yesterday night.
sk8rgal666 2 / 27  
Wow I didn't have any problems I hope no one gets stuck tonight!! including me =] Good Luck everyone!!
georgekon 2 / 6  
I'm having trouble uploading my essay for Common App

is anyone else having this problem...solution?
haha guess i shouldn't have procrastinated. I could really use some help though...
Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
I've had a similar problem... I discovered that if you re-save your document to another location/different name you might be able to upload it.

You can also try saving it as a different format (*.docx versus *.doc)

One of my friends found out that e-mailing the document to her self allowed her to upload it...

Just some suggestions, hope it's not too late :)
LeaUWC 2 / 4  
I uploaded my essay and could not see it, but figured that if I logged in from other pcs it was possible. If you have a macbook it could be the same reason...did you try to upload it from another pc?

Good luck!
popcornpop 1 / 2  
I've had this problem too. I just logged out and in and that seemed to work for me at least.
Tsilas2 1 / 1  
I had the same problem with my common application and my supplement. Changing the computer you are using or restarting your internet modem may work.
xray1 - / 1  
Mac os and safari browser - common app upload issue

All-

If you composed your essay on mac OS using word, and tried to upload to common app using safari browser, try this:

email or otherwise transfer and store your essay as .doc or .docx to a windows OS computer.
2) log on to your common app on the windows PC using IE8 (this is what I used- IE7 or IE9 may also work, but I didn't try them)

3) upload your essay
4) confirm your essay uploaded using the "view document" button in common app- this will launch your essay in a .pdf format.
5) if you go back to your mac, log on to common app, and try to view the document, you will see only a blank page, but your essay is there. You can confirm this by logging off all sessions of common app, logging back on, click view document, and you should be good to go.
estherfm 3 / 5  
I'm on a Mac, using OpenOffice and Google Chrome; all of my docs upload just fine. So that's another alternative.
EKI 4 / 4  
Yeah, I have a mac also, and everything seems fine to me. Try a different computer.
rawat - / 1  
i m writing essay fasting growth of population.effects in our econmey.

Everyone know in todays lifestyle each person wants a lavish .they want to give his family a good education ,proper diet food and good society but it can only happen when our country growth will be better and safe. While having a fast growth of population it can not be happen

Home / Student Talk / Common Application Essay won't upload!