Home / Student Talk   % width Posts: 40

How can I contribute to this awesome website?

Hello! I'm glad you clicked on this thread.

The reason I started it was not to tell you about ways to contribute, actually. The way to contribute is made clear by all the TOC and instructions on the site: Give other people feedback about their essays!

I started this thread because this morning I noticed some particularly excellent and sincere feedback -- writers helping one another even though they may be complete strangers to one another. This is called "giving with no thought of reward." It is a meaningful thing.

So, to all of you who spend time truly attempting to help others improve their writing, THANK YOU! The whole point of this forum is to create something that is "more than the sum of its component parts." When you help each other, you really do something excellent for EssayForum by making it possible for this website to become what it is intended to be.

***Even if your skill in English grammar and composition is still very poor, you do have the ability to help people. Writing is like telepathy (Stephen King said that), so as a reader you can tell the writer what impression the words made on you. That means you can help others even if you are not confident about your own skill. You don't even have to make suggestions if you don't want to. All you need to do is tell them what thoughts came into your mind while reading the essay.
Charz 3 / 33  
Are we allowed to make correction on this one? :-) Thanks EF.
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Uh-oh, did you notice an embarassing mistake I made in this post? Yes, please correct it!

:-)
mayenlu 2 / 6  
: ) yeah, I try to help because I like helping and being help ,but sometimes I feel afraid because I
Know that I am not a native speaker. You are right we should help each other!!!
babyevy 3 / 27  
me too, and I am really sorry if sometimes My corrections are wrong!! ; ), but at least I have tryed to help, I think that is the most important thing!!! So don'tbe afraid MARIA!!! I am sure you can help a lot!!!
Charz 3 / 33  
You took a little longer to post it :-) *kidding* Kev
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Hahahaahahaha...

Better late than never.

It is really important that people can feel comfortable giving corrections and saying "I am not sure, but I think it should be like this."

I say that sometimes, too. It's okay to tell what you think about an essay and say, "I might be wrong, though!"

That is how we can help each other to think about and interact with our writing.
Nesreen 15 / 41  
Actually, I appreciate this website because it lets me to comment and correct other's essays even though I am not perfect in English. Also, we can get benefits while we correct others mistakes.

:-) Thanks
silkesha 4 / 24  
It is indeed an 'awesome website'! This is the exact place I was searching for since the past few weeks, and finally...found it! (Its actually, more than 'awesome'!) Thanks again for your comments and feedbacks! (I, especially like that trademark of your's at the bottom, which you never forget!)

:-)
Tetanya 6 / 21  
Hi!
Could you correct the mistake in this sentence, please!
''Now we have nothing to do only ask you to publish an article''
I know there's one, but I can't find it.
mayenlu 2 / 6  
maybe..to ask you...
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Now, we have nothing left to do but ask you to publish an article.
or
Now, we have nothing left to do except ask you to publish an article.
or
Now, all that is left to do is to ask you to publish an article.

maybe it should be "the" article instead of "an" article?
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Correcting mistakes is the least important benefit of EF...does not yield "more than the sum of its component parts."
"All you need to do is tell them what thoughts came into your mind while reading the essay." (in the best way possible given the limitations of the written word...) "giving with no thought of reward." It is a meaningful thing. Yay Kevin - thank you!!!
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
thanks!!!

"All you need to do is tell them what thoughts came into your mind while reading the essay."

Yes, so...

Attention ESL Students!
If you are a student of ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE you can write a few sentences about what you think when you read someone's essay, and it doesn't matter if you make mistakes.
kevinhsin1124 11 / 10  
Hi~ I have to say that this website is amazing.
It helps me a lot and makes me more confidence, I will go to the USA for graduate school. I will keep post and correction with others. "giving with no thought of reward." How great sentence is, if we could keep this sentence in our mind, this world would be better. I come from Taiwan, yes, English is not my major language, but I will keep practice and study hard. Thanks all of you, you are great.

Keep foolish, keep hungry!! We will success.

BEST REGARD!!
Zeinab1383 5 / 43  
This is a great website and I am really happy to find it!
I didn't imagine to find any website which edits my essays with no thought of reward!!! I do my best to contribute to this website and I am sorry if my contribution limits to give my personal impression about essays because I am not sure about my English language.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all how grateful I am for your feedbacks, corrections and comments.
Bests;
stranger4ever 8 / 29  
I really do admire those people who corrects other mistakes. to all of you, Thank YOUUUUUUUU
Tetanya 6 / 21  
How can I put into this site my essay? I have already written one, but I forget how I did it.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
You can write a WORD document and copy and paste onto a new thread.
(Don't forget to give a distinctive non-generic title!!)
Yumi 2 / 3  
I am a beginner of writing essays, I heard this many times that I just need to read a perfect essay in order to improve writing at first, but I can't distingush which is good essay or bad one here yet.

Anyways, if you can make some measurement with each essay with numbers like tofle or Ielts,how good it is or not then maybe people can get more idea that how to write better.

I really appriciate this web-site and you, when I found this, I felt I found a treasure.
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  

Yes, do just what linmark said.
you have to look for the button that says "NEW THREAD."

distingush which is good essay or bad one here yet.

Well, if you are talking about good grammar, you need to learn by reading good essays. Here is one:

https://essayforum.com/undergraduate-2/sop-hkust-build-language-heritage-15957/

If you are talking about good writing, though... sometimes grammar is not the most important thing. You need to make the reader have a powerful experience.
Tetanya 6 / 21  
In a year I am going to take ILETS exam. I have to be ready enough to wright a good essay. Now I have a problem with it. As I know the essay should have complicated grammar and worthy content. And the time will be limited. If you have taken this exam or if you know how to make up a good essay for a short time, could you please tell me your secret!!!
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Alright, I guess I have an idea that might help.

You should choose a sentence that is well-written, like this one:

If you have taken this exam, or if you know how to make up a good essay for a short time, please tell me your secret!

Now think of variations:
If you want to be wealthy, or if you want to have a good job, work hard in school.
If you want to visit India, or if you want to live in India, learn about the culture.
Of you want to write a story, or if you want to be involved with people who write stories, go to a writer's group.

This is how to choose one sentence and practice variations.

What sentence will you use?

Try try give me a variation of this sentence:

Some people like to live in a big city, but other people like to live in the country.

Here is one variation:

Some people like to put pepper on their ice cream, but other people like to eat ice cream with cheddar.

Can you write another variation? This is how to master sentence structure.
Nesreen 15 / 41  
Hi
this is my Variation....>
Some people like to spend their spare time indoors others prefer to spend it outdoors?? Is that right??
whoau49 4 / 10 1  
um it's a bit lengthy. Some people like to spend their spare time indoors, others however like it outdoors. Hope it's right :)
Tetanya 6 / 21  
Some people like living in flats, but other people like living in houses.

Some people like walking, but other people like using transport.

Some people like still mineral water, but other people like sparkling mineral water.

Some people like sending sms, but other people like phoning each other.

Are my sentences OK?
baohuy 1 / 3  
Some people love peace, but other people love war.
Some people want to be helped but they never help others.
If you want to write a good essay, or if you want to get a high mark, try to copy another essay :) (just kidding!)
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Some people like to spend their spare time indoors others prefer to spend it outdoors

This is a run-on sentence. It needs a conjunction, like "and," "but," or "or."
Some people like to spend their spare time indoors, and others prefer to spend it outdoors.
serena 1 / 1  
I just found this excellent forum, I'm so exciting.
Although my English is very poor, but what you said is very inspiring.
I'm going to learn and write, and hope I can help others in one day.
Tetanya 6 / 21  
Hi Serena!
I am sure this forum will help you and soon you will master English.
swu02 2 / 11  
I thought about writing this on my own post, but I think the EF can make a difference by increasing the incentive to correct someone else's essay. Hmm, maybe something simple but visible (a status that can be built up?). Maybe we can 'like' someone's feedback when it is particularly good and hopefully people will (1) work towards earning more 'likes' (2) feels happier when reading other's essays.

just putting the idea out there.
Priyanka3 6 / 17  
Hi! It's good to know I don't have to be matered in the english language to relpy to many of these threads. This site is very useful because there are many wonderful writers, and seeing them correct my essay in their free time, truly is so great and also improves my writing for the next time. I'm going to preceed to comment on essays with my thoughts in which many of the errors have already been corrected or in which I see none.
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Excellent!! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them along. The way we do it now is to show your activity on your profile page and also allow you to become a contributor if you are interested. essayforum.com/ef-contributor-page/

I'm going to preceed proceed to comment on essays with my thoughts in which many of the errors have already been corrected or in which I see none.

Yes!! That is what we need to do here. Part of the way we learn is to see our mistakes corrected as we communicate in English.
PurpleBook 1 / 9  
Yea!
I am relatively new to this website and I really enjoy
posting up my essay; reading the comments; learning from the comments;
reading others' essay; doing my best to help; and having your comments appreciated.
So many people here are genuinely trying their best to help despite our limited abilities,
this is what that makes this site awesome!

I thought about writing this on my own post, but I think the EF can make a difference by increasing the incentive to correct someone else's essay.

Wow this is a great idea! It would make this site even better!

:D
donrocks 5 / 120  
just joined in...and its a great job. correcting essay and posting our own for essay is good idea.

thanks everyone who really dedicated writing reply.

Thanks Kevin( u rock buddy) for the comments on the essay. Keep up the good job.

;)
Tomomi 4 / 15  
I really appreciate to this owesome website.
Your post have encouraged us to be confident to give advices to other people's threads.
It also make me feel like I want to write more and more to improve my writing skill.
I have already read a lot of posts which you corrected. Your corrections are very clear.One thing for sure is that I have learned too much from your corrections.

Thank you again,Kevin. Please keep helping us!!!!!!!!
lfdz 4 / 31  
One thing that I think hasn't been mentioned yet, is the fact that people not only develop new writing abilities, but they also learn new things from the content of the essays they read; each time I correct an essay I become a more informed individual.

Thanks EF for giving me the opportunity of becoming a wise person, including all of the privileges described at the top of this thread, which help me in the development of my English abilities.
brownie - / 3  
Hi Kevin. In one of your posts, on the subject of 'How to use quotation marks at the end of a sentence', I have to say I winced when I saw your use of the word 'irregardless'. I think you perhaps meant 'irrespective of' or 'regardless of'? Wikipedia has an interesting page on it.
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
I winced when I saw your use of the word 'irregardless'

Hi Elaine,
No way!! I bet you 5 bucks I never used irregardless. :-) Maybe it was someone else's thread and I just contributed.

Well, then again, sometimes my brain is tired and I suppose I might have copy/pasted someone a sentence someone else wrote...

Anyway, I don't claim taht I have perfect grammar all the time, but I am pretty sure I would not use that word, ha ha. I have made fun of people before for using IRREGARDLESS. People use it to mean the same as REGARDLESS. I am going to go search for that post right now! Thanks for telling me about it. Got a link?

And Elaine, if you know about that sort of rule, I think you must be a strong grammarian. We are lucky to have you here!
OP EF_Kevin 8 / 13,321 129  
Okay, Elaine, I found it! I win, it was another person who wrote it: How to use quotation marks at the end of a sentence.

See!!?

So there!! :-b <---------That is my little smiley guy sticking his tongue out at you.

I appreciate you raising this discussion topic, irregardless of the fact that you blamed the wrong guy.

Bwahahahahahah....!

Home / Student Talk / How can I contribute to this awesome website?