Unanswered [0] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES NEW!

Home / Student Talk8

What is a good essay to practice a final for?

I am about to take my finals in English and I was wondering what a good essay would be to practice on.

For the final, I would be doing a Summary/Response paper.

Thank you for your help!

Following the crowd and Motivation and success

Good ideas!

I think the best way to practice is with a formula. Use the formula for anything they challenge you to do!

Formula:
grab the attention with an interesting first sentence in the first para.
Express your main idea in the last sentence of the first para.
Make each body para start with a TOPIC SENTENCE.
Make the conclusion use a few words or phrases that you used in the intro para.

Follow that formula, and you will always score well as long as you know the rules of grammar.
Read Strunk and White's The Elements of Style
Read everything you can find by Dianna Hacker
I think that the essay should be interesting to readers, and your explanation needs to detail. So, the reader cannot be lost their way when their read your essay.
Personally, the best way to practice essay is reading some articles and example.
Firstly, you should think the topic sentences
Secondly, Brain storming. it can help you to think carefully before write down your essay
- First paragraph = introduction
-Second Paragraph = Idea 1
-Third Paragraph = Idea 2
- Last = Conclusion

Hoping this can help you :)
I also think that reading other articles is really a good way to practice your essay. By reading how other people develop their ideas and organize their structures, I get a lot of inspiration in writing my essays. Especially when I choose some interesting articles to read, I won't easily get boring to study them. However, keep practicing is also indispensable for improving your essay.

Home / Student Talk /