Home / Student Talk   % width Posts: 7

What does it mean to be a good writer?

pandora 6 / 19  
Hi, I posted two things under the undergraduate admissions forum part.
I have noticed that I have gotten comments like good job. Other people get comments like you are a great writer?
Is there a difference? Overall, I am just curious
Thanks
~pandora
xperceptionx 2 / 13  
i think good job means you've written a good essay, content-wise.
good writer rather means you have a nice flair for writing, a good writing style, a good master of the craft of writing, but that perhaps with your talent you could write a better essay.
I write 'great writer' usually, when I read a moving story, someones little dog died, a death in the family...sometimes as a little "pick me up" after a sad story!

:)
jennc09 4 / 64  
I think that the moderators all have different answers. I don't think there is much of a difference if the moderator liked the essay.
EF_Constance - / 143  
This is what I mean when I make notes...

Good job = You did an o.k. job in writing and thinking about your essay; you may have made a few mistakes, but I understood what you were wanting to say overall; you answered the prompt successfully.

Great / good writer = You have a way with words; you take a different approach to writing and use words to pluck the strings of my heart and mind. You have a gift. Being a good / great writer for me does not mean that there are NO or FEW errors in the work; however, it means that the words chosen for the work are unique and thought-provoking. Thought was given before each word rested on the page.

Hope that helps!
jennc09 4 / 64  
Oh, I understand. I guess great is always better than good! : ) Thanks for showing the difference.

Jenn
You know, what I am thinking now is that a good writer is someone who can 1.) inspire curiosity in order to motivate the reader to continue, and 2.) persuade the reader to have the experience or opinion that the writing conveys.

How do you do that? It is tough, because every reader is different. So, a good writer can accomplish these two things with a majority of readers.

Home / Student Talk / What does it mean to be a good writer?