Home / Student Talk % width Posts: 9

Practice doesn't make perfect and Can Adult learn a second language: - Survey

isai 12 / 111  
Im a doing a survey , please respond.

Practice doesn't make perfect and Can Adult learn a second language ? Whay do you say ?
THX

hanh1109 4 / 6  
yes. why not?
as long as they put in their hardwork to it. practice,practice, practice.. it may not be perfect but it's damn well close :D
Mv71 3 / 6  
Well scientifically, after the age of I think 17 or 18 (off the top of my head, sorry), brain development makes it a lot harder to become fluent in a language. But it is still DEFINITELY possible and happens all the time. In an era in which many towns have more immigrants than natives, many adults are forced to adjust and adapt to the American lifestyle.

So my answer would be YES. Anyone can learn a second language, if it wasn't true then people wouldn't be mixing so well.
ThuyChi 3 / 8  
Well, I wouldn't say practice makes perfect but practice definitely gives better result and makes you more familiar with the action/subject. For example, those people who make hand-made candies. They are really good at doing it and make making candies look like an art. That comes from years of doing the act of making candies, almost everyday they would do the same thing over and over again till a point you would think they can do it with their eyes closed.

As for adult learning a new language, I do believe that as you get older, it's harder for you to actually speak like a native. However, it is possible for you to master the grammar, the vocabulary and understand the language as good as a native speaker. It is easier if you are in an environment where people around you speak that language 24/7, there are researchs that said when you listen to a language everyday in your life, even if you don't understand it at first, it'll slowly get to you. In the researchs, none of them mention about an age limit.
OP isai 12 / 111  
TQ for your opinion.
nicodorable 1 / 4  
Well I think anything is possible with hard work and determination.
One can learn any language so long as they are interested, and
are willing to practice, practice, and of course practice.
menukagrg 7 / 98  
Yes, i think it is possible. Of course, with a lot of practice that is.
welnorze 8 / 15  
certainly harder than teenagers, however, enough practice will work from my repective
amenanoori 2 / 6  
It is harder, because you have more responsibilites as an adult. BUt YES for sure nothing is impossible.

Home / Student Talk / Practice doesn't make perfect and Can Adult learn a second language: - Survey