Home / Student Talk % width Posts: 62

How to speak English fluently and correctly?

EKI 4 / 4  
What I do is watch youtube videos and look things up there.
ctchrssmnky 2 / 17  
Oh, this is tough. English wasn't my first language, but I learned it quickly and now speak without an accent. I found that speaking with people who spoke English helped me out greatly. I grew up in a community largely composed of elderly transplants from the Deep South, and was mostly exposed to BBC programming as a child, so for a long time I spoke with both a southern accent (when talking to my lovely neighbors) and a British accent (while at school). After moving to California, I learned to adopt a neutral accent, but I still occasionally slip into a soft southern or British accent unthinkingly, depending on the situation.

So my advice: watch American programming. I would suggest the news. Watch too much Family Guy or Two and a Half Men and you might be picking up phrases rarely accepted in polite conversation. The influence of the spoken language is astounding. It's been nearly twelve years since I lived in that town, and you'll still catch me muttering a "bloody hell" under my breath!
princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
I am also preparing for an important examination and I think that my greatest obstacle may be speaking. :D. in addition to read books, watch videos, you can also find bokks which teach speaking skills, like Ielts, Toefl, Toeic. They will probably be helpful :D
Deniz 1 / 2  
hello!
I have been learning English for two years. I live in Turkey. My English teacher thinks that we have to speak English well. But I can not. And our exams are so hard. What can I do? How can I learn speak English easily? Is this impossible? Must I study so hard?
princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
I'm living at a place where there are very few American or English native speakers. It's lucky for me to be able to communicate with an American friend by Skype. I gradually improve my speaking skills in this way. :D
palindromeman - / 7  
I think a great problem that immigrant speakers have in speaking a foreign language is underconfidence in their own abilities. my suggestion would be to read books in english first and then in cambodian and watch english movies (start out with cambodian subtitles and eventually turn off the subtitles) but ultimately you will need to talk to the natives which can be a daunting task. try your best to be a confident speaker even if you know you made a few mistakes.
Hilianas94 - / 6  
Read the newspaper more often; in my area i would prefer a newspaper like The New York Times.
sialiangkuang - / 1  
I have some problems of having a English pronouns of speaking

Please teach me how to speak
Ron Weasley 5 / 15 4  
The only way is you need partners to practice. Practicing can help you improve your English skill day by day
nguyenvanha - / 1  
I love FRIENDS so much, especially is Chandler, and I often imagine having some friends like them. Do you remember the last scene? it was a little sad when Monica said goodbye. After watching the last episode, My feeling were so complicated. I think it is the best movie ever.
zul2805_es 7 / 18  
My friend has a good theory how to make people speak fluency. He said to me that when we were born to this world without knowing any language instead of our mom voice and over the time we got accustomed with our mother language. Therefore, he said, we must listen more in order to generate fluency in our speaking. The more we listen, the good fluency we can get.
Fitri12 28 / 53 6  
Hi! it's my pleasure to share the following tips in speaking:
- Improve your vocabulary. Memorizing words is not recommended. Try to understand the meaning and know how and where to use it.
- Idioms are needed to have natural phrase.
- Avoid Overthinking of grammatical error, it will improve naturally over time. Keep speaking!
Iedha01 21 / 40  
Hi
As far as I experienced, the best way to be able speak English perfectly is being engage with English everywhere, such as music (love songs are much more attractive), English magazine, games, T-shirt slogans, than we make notes, share our vocabularies with friends at class or canteen and use directly in having chit chat with them.
ashy3838 1 / 5  
In my opinion, the best and the most effective way to improve english speaking skill is to have a native friend with whom you can talk on a daily basis.
hiimming04 2 / 9  
As a rule of thumb, I have improved my English speaking by some methods below:
1. Find opportunity to communicate with native speakers (especially when you live in a place of interest)
2. Listening and imitating (You can search on youtube: English With Lucy, Langfocus, mmmEnglish,... All of them are my fav)
3. Passive listening: just hear to be acquainted with their accents, their styles,...
Last but not least, you should learn IPA. It helps you pronounce correctly and easily.
Good luck!
ekawanda - / 4  
@Sothano
I am not good in english too, but i suggest you to combine your hobby and english. for example if you like to watch Naruto or Doraemon you can watch them with the english dub. Beside, we can speak directly with the native. Hopefully it can help you. Thank you before and never give up.
apinkpie 1 / 2  
Hi, I understand how hard obtaining fluency in a foreign language is! I find that the best way is to immerse yourself in the language by having conversations with native speakers or listening to visual stimulus! Sharpen up vocabulary and grammar by studying, but practice and actually applying linguistic skills is what helps with fluency!
blackraven 1 / 2  
Practise speaking and listening.
mo6562 1 / 2  
The easiest way to improve your speaking is to frequently speak the language in day to day settings with native speakers. This will increase your vocabulary and your comfort with speaking English. People can also correct your mistakes.
nhidinh1231 4 / 7 2  
It would be better if you pinned some of your sticky notepad of the unknown vocabulary about the furniture about you, then tried to describe each of them. Trying to speak when you are alone as much as you can. You can also go to Omegle to find native speaker and talk to them
tdl 1 / 3  
i think people should have a good tutor to support them
Famous125 2 / 5 1  
Am glad I found this forum to always express myself. I think reading novels is major to this improvement in English. English isn't really that hard I believe but it has to do with environment to speak and write a better one.

Home / Student Talk / How to speak English fluently and correctly?