Home / Student Talk % width Posts: 27

What is ielts writing? I am confused.

shery 3 / 8  
hi
i will have general ielts exam two month later..
i want to improve my writing ,how can i do?what is the best skill for improvment?

thanks for help
Hi Sheri, I think the best way to practice written English is to read English aloud and participate in English speaking chat rooms.

You should do a word search for ielts here at EssayForum and see what other people have posted.

If you write an essay for practice, we will try to help you improve your skill!
Keng 39 / 134  
In my experience, i did not know how to write an academic essay, many essays were logically coherent. However, since taking a academic writing, i have been writing one piece per day so that my writing an essay becomes a bit easier than it was.

The most difficult aspects of the essay is your idea, you have to enumerate a good flow of information, so readers will know what your opinion are about.

Here are my suggestions
OP shery 3 / 8  
hi
thanks for replying...
if i write here ,can u help me to improve my writting?
Leo0911 - / 1  
Practice is the best way to improve your writing skills.

In my case, I used to read others writing.

Because, in the IELTS test, we need various knowledge.
JulieB 2 / 4  
Sometimes the best way to practice writing, is to write about something you're passionate about. Read what others have written in the past to give you some insight, and relate it to yourself. Practice is the main key. Try to view it as a way to show someone your own views on the subject, instead of a "chore" or "just a paper".

Good luck!
sweetS2xox 1 / 2  
Hi Shery, I would suggest that you should practice your writing skills by writing daily journals or re-reading some old essays where you've recieved feedback from teachers to try to imporve on your mistakes. I'd also suggest reading novels, where you might be able to improve your literacy skills

please, can you provide feedback on my comparison essay?
comet2000 10 / 48  
the best way to improve on your writing is practice, practice, practice.
in my experience, i used to read books and write a summary about the book(s) to help me with my writing skills.
thinhtvdhtm 41 / 97  
personally, i think that it is better for u to try to write a paragraph before writing an essay.
the more materials u read, the better E u can gain
good luck
pinpin 3 / 4  
You can try to write everyday, you will see your progress and it also helps you to use your time efficiently.

Good luck!
OP shery 3 / 8  
It is my first practice to write IELTS essay
please check it and say my problmes

thanks alot
shery
OP shery 3 / 8  
where is my essay i write it but ...disappear
i write it but it is not here

Yes, you sure can. We'll try to identify your mistakes and help you improve your skill.

i write it but it is not here

I wonder what happened! Please post it again and we'll try to help. I'm sorry it disappeared!
timothy1985 1 / 2  
Based on my experience...practice is the best, get your writings checked by others and attend a course if you have extra time...
at least that work for me :D
i'm very weak at writing...
maybe this website will be quite helpful for finding topics and sharing about IELTS test :
ielts-blog
wilde 2 / 3  
Start writing on your daily experiences. Maintain your dairy and keep on writing. Of course, show it to your mentor regularly to avoid repetition of mistakes.
greentea93 7 / 31  
I think the best way to improve writing is to read more and more.You can learn alot from reading such as:ideals,style of writing,etc.
Tikky 1 / 1  
Most important thing is practicing writing tasks within the given time limits. Even though you feel under pressure for time, spend the first few minutes planning your writing, when you know what to write, you can concentrate on how to write it best...
Seba0817 - / 2  
IELTS. What is the writing tips? I AM CONFUSED!

Hi I am from Japan and currently, I am living in Canada. I have been studying IELTS for applying graduate school in TESOL MA course in Canada. However, as you see, I am not a good writer... My weak point on IELTS exam is writing. I have been trying to memorize structure but I am always confused.

What should I do? Do you have any writing tips????
SHanafi 120 / 415 93  
Hi, you are not alone, I studying IELTS also and have same weakness with you. Little suggest that I get from my tutor, Dumi (our moderator) and Pahan (our contributor). We should practice, because it is skill not knowledge. I want to noted that memorizing is good, but better you do writing more. Cheers an good luck :)
@ Seba0817 - Write essays on IELTS topics and post them here. We will help you improve :)
Seba0817 - / 2  
Thank you so much for encouraging me!!!! Oh wow!!! Nice to meeting you all!!
Yes, I will upload my essay soon!
Red Moon 14 / 32 6  
I think you should learn to write essays on IELTS topics and post them. I recommend you to learn from the website IELTS. I have found some useful information and samples there.
numissh 2 / 8 2  
Hi @Seba0817

Nice to meet you! I am now in progress of studying IELTS too. Here's my tips.
I believe that you should divide the question categories for task 1 and task 2. Learn the structure. After that, you can manage to write some essays on each categories. Remember the structure, conjunctions, and sentence type for each type. At the test day, you should just simply copy that!

Above all, you should practice. Remember that practice makes perfect! :)
d2ny 12 / 39  
@shery
Of course you can write here, because this is what we do. Once you post your essay here, we will help you spot your weaknesses and mistakes and help you to fix them. Also I agree with everyone here. Before you read, make sure you have got tons of exposures of English so that in the time of writing, you can produce similar piece since you already have it in your mind. Please read a lot; you can try news portal such as the Guardian and BBC.
Red Moon 14 / 32 6  
I think you should read the band score descriptions and determine what you need to learn to achieve your desired score. You can learn about the structure of an IELTS essay and how to write one on the Internet, and even find many sample essays too. There are many writing styles, but you should choose only one writer and stick to their style of writing. After you know the basics, you should practice writing as much as possible, paragraphs first, then the whole essay. It's a little bit hard to practice writing by yourself, so you should find a native speaker, a teacher if possible, to check your work.

You can post your essay here so everyone here can lend a hand. Good luck.
Ziming82222 1 / 2  
Having some online courses for IELTS writing will be helpful.
lin0208 3 / 3 1  
Hello, I'm a high school student so I'm used to writing essays.

First, "Practice makes perfect" - you cannot improve if you don't prepare and practice writing everyday.
Secondly, you should read more. I recommend you to read essays from your lecturers or classmates who are good at writing.
Last but not least, you can try to learn some academic writing like ielst or toefl because these tests can improve your writing skills amazingly.

Love from me.
Good luck

Home / Student Talk / What is ielts writing? I am confused.