'abandoning a strict and objective class setting' - UChicago Supplemental

Big Z 3 / 9  
A quick two paragraphs on why I think Chicago is bomb. Should I reference more specific things about the school or no?

The University of Chicago is unbelievably ideal! To begin, it's a decent distance from the Twin Cities which means my parents are an almost complete non-factor and the change of scenery means a new social life. The opportunity to play college baseball is exciting and the physical environment (the campus or the city), as well as the learning environment, which seems to put a lot of emphasis on ideas and critical thinking, suit me well. A part of why I believe UChicago allows for open-mindedness is on its supplement. No other college that I'm applying to is asking me about my favorite books and music, or has abstract essay prompts like guessing what is between living and dreaming (I love the Play-doh to Plato one a lot as well).

One thing I've always looked forward to about college was abandoning a strict, highly objective class setting. Being able to play around with ideas and share them at leisure while being productive is something Chicago encourages, and I was especially excited when I read about the Socratic style in which classes were taught. I've heard the workload in the core curriculum was formidable, but I feel like the copious amounts of reading and discussion would be something much more valuable than "busy work". I've always assumed that college was a place to grow intellectually, not just a stepping stone into the real world, and I haven't found another university that fits the bill as well as this one. Simply put, UChicago potentially offers me the best four years of my life, I couldn't be more excited (and nervous) about applying!
fineboy 2 / 6  
Sure I think you need to add more things that are unique to UChicago. I feel that most of the advantages you mentioned can be as easily found in any other colleges as in UChicago. Since you only has two paragraphs, I think it's better to focus on just one or two points and explain them more comprehensively.

Eg: why do you like abstract essay prompts?
Wish this helps.
doortothe 2 / 5  
Your first sentence, "The University of Chicago is ideal!" says almost nothing, they already know that their school is awesome. Instead of stating the obvious, try saying why UoC is ideal for you, FOR YOU! They want to know why this is a good school for you. There are a lot of schools that will let you play basketball and have great learning environments, but why is UoC's so special? What are you looking for in a college, and how does UoC provide? These questions should be answered in the first sentence.
OP Big Z 3 / 9  
Thanks. I was thinking since the prompt specifically asks what makes UofC great for me that 'ideal' would imply 'perfect for me', but you're definitely right

Home / Undergraduate / 'abandoning a strict and objective class setting' - UChicago Supplemental