'my able body for the good of other people' - UC Statement #1

princessdebs 1 / -  
I've always been one to take everything for granted. In this rapidly advancing 21st century society, instant gratification and materialism are constantly glorified and exalted through media and as a teenager living in the heart of it all, my hunger for more could never be satiated. However, the beginning of my junior year of high school would be the turning point in my mentality-for the first time, my selfish desires were splintered by my experiences with the handicapped and disadvantaged.

From the moment I first met Merry, I confronted emotions and issues that I had never encountered living in my self-centered world. The trials and tribulations of a breast cancer survivor with severe autism, especially one who was my age, forced my view of the world and my sense of responsibility to take a dramatic turn. I had already seen the costly hardships that handicaps dealt with, and the social acceptance related to their status. However, in this case, I experienced first-hand the life which Merry lived, and my role in the relationship was suddenly reversed. Where I had once been the child who had to be taught and led every single step, I was now the teacher to the deficient student.

By the beginning of my senior year, my old world had crumbled and I had reconstructed my life; as Merry's severe autism disabled her from doing the basics on her own, I became her extra pair of hands and feet. The more time I spent with her, the easier it got to understand her needs-knowing when she had to use the bathroom and when she was hungry became second nature to me. Every Saturday, I would get up and head to volunteer to see her. There, I helped her eat, cleaned after her, and became familiar with the hardships of cancer treatment. I pained for her when people stared at her balding head, as a result of chemotherapy, or the weight gain due of lack of activity and emphasis on eating during treatment. Still, I made sure she always had her anti-nausea bracelet on after every chemo treatment and her hat to keep her head warm. And in the midst of all this chaos, I saw what Merry was facing-- the gradual depletion that the chemotherapy caused; yet she never let it affect her. I saw her strength, and it entered my life.

Through my experience with Merry, I was able to awaken myself from the materialistic world I used to live in. She has given me the greatest gift in the world: a gift of deep maturity and experience. I am now able to see that my actions can be significant in another one's life. But most importantly, Merry gave me the opportunity to see the world through her eyes, and has ultimately shaped me to want to become a useful surrogate to underprivileged people. She has shown me so much through her hardships, triggering a sense of compassion in me, and has affected my future and dreams of utilizing my able body for the good of another person in need.

With this newfound compassion and knowledge comes an even greater responsibility. As I continue to push forward in my life, it is my desire to have an open outlook on the world and begin to see the different sides of the spectrum. By doing this, I will understand that there can be numerous answers to one question, as long as I obtain a broad perspective in life.

Please don't be afraid to give criticism! Thanks!
Eunhae126 3 / 16 6  
However, the beginning of my junior year of high school WAS the turning point in my mentality-for the first time, my selfish desires were splintered by my experiences with the handicapped and disadvantaged.

forced my view of the world and my sense of responsibility to take a dramatic turn. re word this sentence, it's a bit awkward being read out loud.

I would get up and head to volunteer to see her. reword

Absolutely beautiful essay, I love how you painted a picture towards the end. Good luck! Please read my UT Austin Essay A? Any tips on how I can condense it for UC Prompt 1?

Home / Undergraduate / 'my able body for the good of other people' - UC Statement #1