'able to explore new personalities, ideals, and opinions' UC Prompt 2

dchau503 1 / -  
Hello, I'm David, a Vietnamese student, and I am a new member on this board. I hope that you can review the following prompt and essay. I'm mostly looking for macroscopic issues like if I'm following the prompt and if I'm portraying myself well enough, but I'm also looking for microscopic issues like grammar mistakes too.

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

I can take hours to read a page. I will read over every sentence on the page, imagining the words act out their purpose. When reading old English plays, I am a spectator, viewing the imaginary characters act out their parts like how they were meant to be portrayed. When reading about science, I am Newton, discovering the concept of gravity and motion. When examining history, I am the pilgrim who has gone to America, I am a protester at a civil rights movement, and I am the anxious president who waits to make his speech. Even the most inanimate books can clutch onto my attention and endure until I turn the page. My trip to another world cannot happen when I only "glimpse" at the text.

I know that I am one of the slowest readers on the planet but I am glad of that. The outside world cannot permeate my thoughts when I read. My family's issues with money, my fighting parents, and my bickering siblings-these all disappear when I open a book. I put on a new persona when I leisurely read. I don't just read about events and discoveries; I experience them. Even with long and dry text, the words can still shout at me, calling for me to join their world; and I, with them. I can't interact as much with the words when I read quickly.

Reading slowly has made me proud in the way that it has allowed me to think freely. It liberates me from this fleeting state of the world and for once, I can feel like I'm in a sanctuary. When reading slowly, I am not pressured by the haste of the rest of the world. I actually defy it.

Slow reading also reflects my thirst to learn more about the world. For example, when there is a problem, I observe it like I observe a book. I wonder about the possible solutions to the problem, its origins, how it came to be, and why it's there. I then consider all possible solutions and depict myself applying possible solutions to the problem and then proceed to do it in real life. Like obscure and difficult texts, I try new methods until the problem is solved. The time necessary to learn the solution is inconsequential.

I'm proud to have been able to explore new personalities, ideals, and opinions about the world through my type of reading. It has given me a new personality in that I'm not a robot who processes as much information as I can. In this technological world that's obsessed with speed, slowing down may still be the best means of learning about the world and of myself.
dumdeedumdeedoo 4 / 9  

I know that I am one of the slowest readers on the planet but I am glad of that. The outside world cannot permeate perhaps a different word? penetrate? maybe that's just me though my thoughts when I read. My family's issues with money, my fighting parents, and my bickering siblings-these all disappear when I open a book. I put on a new persona when I leisurely read leisurely read sounds kind of awkward . I don't just read about events and discoveries; I experience them. Even with long and dry text, the words can still shout at me, calling for me to join their world; and I, with themYou're shouting at the words? Maybe clarify a little here . I can't interact as much with the words when I read quickly.

I like your answer to the prompt, it's very original and you make yourself sound thoughtful, but not conceited. Content wise, I don't really see any ways to improve. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / 'able to explore new personalities, ideals, and opinions' UC Prompt 2