I'd be able to take my knowledge into practice in the real industry; Georgia Tech application

Shraf39 2 / 6 1  
Beyond rankings, location, and athletics, why are you interested in attending Georgia Tech? (max 150 words)

Please help me edit this prompt (I'm a terrible writer) Due in 5 days

I believe Georgia Tech, through its outstanding engineering programs, will best prepare me for engineering the in the real world. Georgia Tech offers programs and studies with a variety of fields in engineering which will help further my interest in a specific area. To pursue this further, Georgia Tech will provide me with many research opportunities and studies with students and professors, such as the Opportunity Research Scholars Program. As a student that values group research, I believe this program will greatly benefit me. Through a research program as such, I'd be able to take my knowledge into practice in the real industry. And therefore, I can accomplish my objectives in Georgia Tech.
LoneLee 4 / 12  
@Shraf39
You do a lot of telling, but you don't show anything. Honestly, this essay just feels super generic all you say is GT is a great school and great schools are good for me.

Get more personal. You mention that you value group research you should expand upon that. Maybe tell a story about when you had a bad group and it ruined your experience and then extend that point to GT
The_iKick 2 / 3  
Maybe, justify why you value group research?
OP Shraf39 2 / 6 1  
@The_iKick
I guess that it is just my style of learning, so I don't know how to elaborate on that.
LoneLee 4 / 12  
@Shraf39
Tell about a time when you didn't have that available and it hindered you in a negative way. So if you perform well in groups instead of saying "I like being in groups" tell about a time where u weren't allowed to be in a group and you had to work harder because of it. Or just artsy it up, add a bunch of adjectives like "My soul soars when I work with other people". Obviously not as cheesy but something along those lines.

Also, typically you can get away with going about 10% over the word limit
Shraf, I think that with a max word count of 150, you should opt to discuss only one particular reason that you were drawn to apply for admission to Georgia Tech. That way, you can clearly focus your explanation on the academic reason that you believe your interests will be best served by attending the university. If it were up to me, the response would focus on the Opportunity Research Scholars Program and how you plan to fully utilize the program to benefit you as a student. You already have a strong foundation for the discussion in the succeeding paragraphs. All you have to do is expand on the discussion while deleting the earlier parts of the response. It is best to always consider the method by which you can develop your strongest response in a word limited essay. In all instances, one of the best methods to utilize the word count is to not try to discuss to many topics, which end up under developed and as such, doesn't really help to make your essay stand out as a response.
OP Shraf39 2 / 6 1  
Thank you for your feedback. I tried to focus more on the program itself as you said. Here is my most recent version of the prompt; it went up to 161 words which I will try and fix. However, can you let me know if I need to make more changes in the content itself. Thank you so much

I believe Georgia Tech, through its outstanding engineering programs, will best prepare me for engineering the in the real world. Georgia Tech offers programs and studies with a variety of fields in engineering which will help further my interest in a specific area and take my knowledge into practice in the real engineering industry. Georgia Tech provides many research opportunities and studies with students and professors, such as the Opportunity Research Scholars Program(ORS). As a student that values group research, I believe programs as such, will greatly benefit me. Group studying is something that was rarely offered to me during my whole high school journey, and I'd like to experience more of it. Rather than limiting my learning options to just classroom lectures, I can be able expand my knowledge through these less populated, group research programs with students and professors which would best suite my learning style. Therefore, I think I can accomplish many of my objectives at Georgia Tech.
Shraf, your essay has truly come to represent the prompt you were provided at this point. However, I think that you are doing your best to meet the 150 word requirement when it is not necessary that you do so. Provided that you present at least 100 words, the response will come out informative.

Really, you don't need to present such a long introduction at the start of the essay before you get to the actual discussion. The reviewer doesn't need a rehash of what he already knows about the university or why you feel that you will succeed there. That is a redundancy that is found in the other prompt essays that you already wrote.

Instead, just start the essay at " Georgia Tech provides many research opportunities..." That full paragraph will come up to an informative 107 words. More than enough to qualify as a well developed and informative response to the essay prompt.
OP Shraf39 2 / 6 1  
Ok I have done so. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

@LoneLee
The CommonApp is actually very strict with their word count, you cannot submit a prompt if it exceeds the limit even by 1 word. But I've fixed it and I now fall under the word limit

Home / Undergraduate / I'd be able to take my knowledge into practice in the real industry; Georgia Tech application