"an abundance of career options and successful education" - WHY NORTHWESTERN?

asolayman 3 / 11  
I have had an internship at the Northwestern University Bluhm Legal Clinic as part of the benefits awarded to me as a member of the Law and Public Safety Academy at Mather High School. This honors program focuses on preparing high school students for a career within the law, as well as offering real-life experience with jobs, and internships.

At the legal clinic, I have been working directly with the operations manager on several cases, and gaining knowledge about court reporting, the appeals process, and exoneration. As part of the internship, I have attended a Family Law class taught by Professor Shapo at the Northwestern School of Law. I found the class incredibly fascinating and wished my time there would not end. The experience was priceless. I was impressed with the drive of the students which I have never before witnessed in my high school setting. I also was able to attend a class at the Northwestern undergraduate school where I once again saw the same drive and motivation that was so apparent. All students seemed prepared and eager to learn.

The Law and Public Safety Academy is an honors program has required me to take nothing but Honors and Advanced Placement coursework as part of my high school curriculum. Having experienced a similar workload as a college student, I know that I am equipped to live up to the Northwestern standard of education and academic rigor.

I am interested in enrolling in The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and studying Middle Eastern Studies, Economics, and Political Science. The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is one of the few colleges that offer Middle Eastern Studies as a major or minor. I am planning on taking classes on this subject not only for my personal academic benefit, but for the abilities it will grant me. Being well versed in Middle Eastern history and events will give me the basis of today's pressing issues. One may argue that the ancient pyramids have nothing to do with today's oil concerns, but doesn't it? Long-term rivalries and natural resource issues date back thousands upon thousands of years. I will be able to apply this knowledge in many ways, whether it is debating dilemmas with various ambassadors, or having an educational chat with a cousin or two, the knowledge I'll have gained will allow me to become a better citizen. In essence, I feel the goal of the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences is to do just that, equip its students with the knowledge that will lead them to a better future, and in turn, become a better citizen. I want to graduate from Northwestern University with a degree that will not only leave me with an abundance of career options, but the satisfaction of education.

i REALLY NEED HELP! idk where to expand and where not to. i know it doesnt flow, i need help with the transitions.
livedreamfly3 3 / 30  
first of all... this is really heavy on the "I____" "I____"
if you've seen the campus why not comment on the aesthetics, the dynamic of the university; describe the direct feel you got from the Northwestern students, etc.

You can make direct notes on the observations you've made on the campus. :)
helloworld1 3 / 12  
hey i think this is really good! you've connected ur personal experiences with northwestern im sure the AOs will love that(:

wads the word limit for this piece? maybe you could include other aspects of northwestern that you love.. but this essay is very good as it is (:
I see something great here:
...my time there would not end.
As you revise, CUT to highlight the awesomeness: I found the class incredibly fascinating and wished my time there would not end. ---That expresses it perfectly.

The first paragraph is really boring, but it is not your fault. It is only boring to the reader because it is irrelevant to the reader. You should add an intro paragraph to the beginning so that you can use it as an opportunity to give a THEME that will be expressed through the discussion of your experience at the clinic.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "an abundance of career options and successful education" - WHY NORTHWESTERN?