Academic and personal experience, preparation for and commitment to further study at SCAD

ratcrux 1 / -  

SCAD sop essay

The statement should be no more than 500 words in length and should give an overview of the applicant's academic and personal experience, describing preparation for and commitment to further study at SCAD, as well as educational and professional goals and aspirations.

Here is what I have so far for my essay. Any help at all would be amazing, I'm not the best and I want to get into the school so badly. Thank you!

"Ever since I was young, I've been completely engrossed in the art world. I taught myself how to draw, and arts always been the most important thing in my life. I started off drawing characters from cartoons I watched on early mornings before school, then I would look up drawing videos online and learn new techniques, go to the school library and read books on anatomy to learn human proportions - everything I could do to help myself improve.

However, High School is when I truly figured out that Art was what I wanted to go to college for. I was never the best student academically, but Art was always my strong suite.

Then, in my Senior year of High School, I took AP Portfolio. It challenged me and forced me to try new things, experimenting with mediums I'd barely even looked at before, let alone used in a project. "
Anna, this is a good start. your opening paragraph is believable as most kids do get their start in the arts by trying to draw the Saturday morning cartoon characters. You should develop a personal story to go with that time though. Describe how it felt for you to be drawing stick figures or something. What was the joy that you got out of your early drawings that helped to turn a hobby into a passion? Build on that idea. Show your passion for drawing while calling as little attention as possible to your academic grades in other aspects not related to art. Don't highlight your weaknesses. Instead, dazzle the reviewer with your strengths. Aside from the online tutorials and library visits for more anatomy lessons, what else, in the form of formal training did you have? Did you attend drawing classes? What medium are you most comfortable using? Pencil, water color, oil? Why did you choose that particular medium? Have you had any accomplishments regarding your drawings that could make you stand out as an applicant? any awards or recognition? More importantly, what are the reasons that you chose SCAD for your college studies? I don't mean the run of the mill responses, I mean the "I really put great thought and consideration into my choice of art school." paragraphs. These could be the guidelines you can use for the further drafting of your essay. It's a step in the right direction for your response. It's up to you to make it shine.

Home / Undergraduate / Academic and personal experience, preparation for and commitment to further study at SCAD