My Academic Goals - Texas A&M Engineering Admission Essay

jazvalencia 1 / -  
Describe your academic and career goals in the broad field of engineering. What and/or who has influenced you either inside/outside the classroom that contributed to these goals?

my future engineering career

Ever since Neil Armstrong landed on the moon in 1968, technology has made extraordinary progress. From being able to store over a thousand pictures on a small device that you can plug into a computer to being able to watch a TV show in high definition on a portable cell phone. These magnificent improvements are what led me to take interest in computer engineering. This career will allow me to gain an understanding of how these advancements are possible, while at the same time being able to create my own technology for the benefit of society.

Obstacles are part of the innovation process; therefore, engineers work together in order to find a solution. These professionals have to use their attained knowledge from past experiences and implement those strategies to solve the challenges that may present. For this reason, learning the procedures and techniques they use is my main academic goal. One of my early engineering influences was my eighth-grade class called, Gateway to Technology. This class allowed me to explore the process by which past inventions were achieved and how, with the devices we have today, the development would have been easier.

There have been many life-changing technological breakthroughs in the past 5 years; for example, the fingerprint security setting on smart phones. Therefore, I aspire to contribute something meaningful to the world. This will be a challenging part of my future engineering career. My parents taught me that failure is part of life and inevitable. They both gave me the advice of learning from the mistakes of my peers, not only my own. Although, I am not sure what new upgrade I will create, I do know that I want to give something helpful to people.

There is no doubt that technology will continue to evolve and that it will be favorable to humanity. As a Texas A&M student, I will have the opportunity to be guided by experts in the engineering field. As well as having the chance to achieve the goals that I have set for myself.
bethanysheshu 1 / 2  
@jazvalencia

I like this essay, I think you really nailed the part where they asked to talk about who or what influenced you.

I think you should emphasize more on why you want to pursue computer engineering and what you want to do with it. You mentioned how technology continues to evolve and is changing our generation; include how you want to be apart of that change, and what you would do with computer engineering to be apart of the change. What would you do with computer engineering that you think makes you different from all the other applicants? Try to make yourself stand out with your goals! :)

Good Luck, Texas A&M is an amazing school!
Jazmine, when you choose a person who inspired your interest in Engineering, try to pick a more recent example aside from Neil Armstrong. He was from a century long before all of the current trends and developments in technology so it will be a good stretch to try and convince the reviewer that your greatest influence in terms of wishing to become an engineer is the first man to walk on the moon. Use more recent and believable examples in relation to your interest in Engineering. People like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, and Mark Zuckerberg would be better examples of influential people on terms of opening your eyes to the possibility of engineering innovations and possibilities.

While your parents are a good reference point for your inspiration in life and are good cheerleaders when it comes to your studies, unless one of them actually works in the field that interests you, their mention in the essay tends to fall flat. You need to use more impressive reference points. For example, who was the teacher that you had in your 8th grade science class? Combining the teaching method and the objectives of that class creates a more interesting inspiration point for your desire to become an engineer.

The main problem of your essay is that there is no clear reference to your academic and career goals in the essay. You need to develop 2 new paragraphs that clearly outline your plans in those 2 discussion topics in the essay. Don't get me wrong, the essay is a good draft, it just loses its way every so often and you need to get it back on track.

Home / Undergraduate / My Academic Goals - Texas A&M Engineering Admission Essay