Which of the academic and social communities are most interesting to you?

circlesky 1 / -  
Answer the essay question: (do not exceed one page.)
Benjamin Franklin established the Union Fire Company, the Library Company of Philadelphia, the American Philosophical Society, Pennsylvania Hospital, and, of course, the charity school that evolved into the University of Pennsylvania. As they served the larger community of Philadelphia, each institution in turn formed its own community.

Which of the academic communities and social communities that now comprise the University of Pennsylvania are most interesting to you and how will you contribute to them and to the larger Penn community?

In every community there is work to be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart there is the power to do it.

Marianne Williamson

In our contemporary society during the age of massive globalization and permanent pursuit of money, power and fame people begin to forget the primary value of communities they live in as well as to underestimate the importance of the collaborative engagement with communities and favor they can get from it. Since it was found, University of Pennsylvania had always been an important means of uniting people, bringing them up together and setting a common goal. Hence for the years of development and improvement numerous of academic and social communities were formed, serving the needs of residents of Philadelphia and Philadelphian community as a whole.

During the process of researching and exploring the University of Pennsylvania, I have highlighted two public activities, which seem immensely interesting to me and I would like to take part in. First organization that has captured my attention is called the Community School Student Partnerships, which is aimed to enrich the educational and cultural experience of all children In West Philadelphia. My parents have always been teaching me to help others and a few years ago, when our school teacher proposed me and my classmates to visit a local orphanage, I agreed without hesitation. I took some of my child's clothes that I've grown out of and went together with our team. All the children were so glad to meet us, we played different games, sang songs and in the end we gave them little presents and they were so happy, one can only imagine. But the amazing thing that I understood was that it is really a great pleasure to help people.

I truly believe that assisting children to meet their academic goals, fostering them and helping them to develop culturally can bring great favor to them and to the larger Penn community. I’m sure that I would be able to contribute to this program as a volunteer since I love children and I love the process of communicating with them, bringing changes in their lives and opening new borders for them as well as I have necessary background and experience for such kinds of activities. As Franklin Roosevelt said: “We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future”.

Another interesting activity I would like to take part in is called the Academically Based Community Service. Opposite to usual classes which provide only book-knowledge, ABCS courses give students a unique opportunity to try on practice everything they have learned and to obtain an invaluable experience of working in the team and solving problems collaboratively. In my endeavour to raise my personal academic knowledge as well as to improve my leadership skills, I would enhance coordination and collaboration between University of Pennsylvania and whole Philadelphia community, solving critical public issues and integrating academic work with the needs of the community.

Each of us is a member of society, however our importance and role in this world depends on the benefits we bring to our home community. One generation plants the trees, another gets the shade. I believe that each person can do something valuable for people who surround him, building a community of shared responsibilities, shared values and shared benefits. So why don’t we start right now?
I love the quotation you opened with!

In our contemporary society, during the age of massive globalization and permanent pursuit of money, power and fame, people begin to forget the primary value of communities they live in as well as tounderestimating the importance of the collaborative engagement with communities and favor they can get from it. Okay, this whole sentence needs to be revised for clarity...easily done if you make it two sentences.

Since it was founded , University of Pennsylvania has always been an important means of uniting people, bringing them up together and setting a common goal.

Hence after years of development and improvement, numerous of academic and social communities were formed, serving the needs of residents of Philadelphia and the Philadelphian community as a whole.

My parents have always taught me to help others ...

Home / Undergraduate / Which of the academic and social communities are most interesting to you?