"Academic and social/educational connections reasons" - Transfer CommonApp Essay

ndumais1 1 / -  
I had always thought that college would be a place where I would grow and achieve great things. Where I would become a part of a community, and make friendships and connections that would last me a lifetime. A place that would further my interests and studies, and where I could demonstrate my talents, motivation, and vitality. However, as it often tends to be, this wasn't the case. Sometimes students like myself may make the wrong choice when it comes to college decisions, and we are left with no room to grow, no connections being made, and a dissatisfying education. Currently, I am yearning for more, and looking for a deeper educational experience. While presently attending San Francisco State University, I have taken into consideration all aspects of my college experience, and all of the details that I wish to change and better for myself. It seems that the problems are not something I can correct or work out in my current standing.

My admission into college was unlike many other students. I didn't get to go through the extensive decision making process, narrowing down my choices to the colleges that would best suit my needs and desires. Instead, I was rushed into taking my SATs and rushed into sending them in and applying to colleges. With little to no help from my parents, I thought that the cheaper, California State Universities were the only feasible options for me if I wanted to move out and attempt to further my schooling. I had hopes and aspirations to attend an esteemed university where I could challenge myself, and learn and grow as a person, somewhere far from the Californian west coast I had been living along my whole life, and with endless opportunities. However, being so young and naïve to the whole college application process, I settled for a school much closer to home, and with lower demands when it came to costs.

Currently, I am more than halfway through my first year here at San Francisco State, and I have explored my options within the school, as well as the many opportunities that other schools have to offer. I have met with numerous professors, counselors, and upperclassmen, as well as done a tremendous amount of research on what school would be right for me, and the assistance that they offer in terms of costs and education. After months of nonstop investigation and commitment, I finally feel that I know where I need to attend school in order to extend my knowledge and fulfill my goals of education. Through ample inquiry, I believe that Bard offers courses that I can take within my intended Philosophy major. With insight on the professors and their backgrounds that teach at Bard, as well as the various seminars offered within the Philosophy program, I see a perfect fit with your school.

With my admittance into your university, I hope to achieve a challenging education and to broaden and heighten my knowledge in philosophy. With my interest in the artistic and intellectual liberal arts program of study that Bard offers, as well as my diverse curiosities in fulfilling Bard's academic and artistic demands, I plan on demonstrating my ability to you by challenging myself and advancing my education. I look forward to embracing Bard's unique curriculum, possibly studying abroad and studying philosophy more extensively in other cultures, and eventually going on to graduate school in philosophy and/or logic.

My reasons for transferring are mostly academic, with slight reasoning due to social/educational connections. The professors at San Francisco State have done their job in teaching me what I need to know, but I have only encountered two professors who have actually taken the time to make a real relationship with me. Though my connections have been deemed unsuccessful, I am rather lucky to have attended a school that I do not belong at, for I have been able to realize what I do want in life, and what is important to me when it comes to my college experience. Through this understanding, I now see that I belong at Bard, with smaller classes and more one-on-one attention, the old school feel of the beautiful 600 acre campus, as well as personalized programs of study, where I can further my educational career.

Through my transcripts and referrals, it will go to show that I have done exceedingly well when it comes to my studies, and I take my education very seriously. Though San Francisco State was a fair start to my college experience, I know that I would grow at Bard, and your distinctive curriculum and programs of study ideally suit my academic wants and needs.
Sometimes students like myself may make the wrong choices when it comes to college decisions, and we are left with no room to grow, no connections being made, and a dissatisfying education.

My admission into college was unlike that of many other students.

I had hopes and aspirations of attending an esteemed university where I could challenge myself,...

I have met with numerous professors, counselors, and upperclassmen, as well as having done a tremendous amount of research on what ...

With insight on the professors and their backgrounds that teach at Bard, as well as the various seminars offered within the Philosophy program, I see a perfect fit with your school.

With my interest in the artistic and intellectual L iberal A rts program of study that Bard offers, as well as my...

ThroughMy transcripts and referrals, it will go to show that I have done exceedingly well when it comes to my studies, and I take my education very seriously.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / "Academic and social/educational connections reasons" - Transfer CommonApp Essay