'Academic standards / Indian roots' - University of Rochester short answer

nadine83 6 / 23  
I'm applying to University of Rochester and they require 2 short answer question, maximum 125 words each. Please tell me what you think and help me cut it down a bit.

1. What makes the University of Rochester a good fit for you? In answering, identify your sources of information, including any conversations you've had with Rochester faculty, staff, students, or alumni.

I believe that University of Rochester is the ideal college for me because it is unique and suits my needs from every angle. The university has high standards in academics, which I find appealing because I'm constantly seeking to challenge myself. I also found through websites and speaking to a representative of the university that it is known as one of the best colleges for students seeking to attend medical school. Attending this school will assist me in achieving my goal of becoming a doctor. By visiting the campus and searching online, it seems to me that the students are genuinely happy at the university, with the beautiful campus, city location, and variety of clubs and school events. Between the educational benefits and the social life of living on campus, I believe that University of Rochester will provide me with the college experience that I seek. (147 words)

2. Rochester students represent many different points of view. Each student constructs an independent study and research plan. Describe what you will contribute to Rochester's diversity of ideas, experiences, and identities. If you can, incorporate a positive past experience where you chose your own learning path, or a negative experience where you wanted to exercise more independence.

I believe that my Indian roots have made a great impact on the way in which I perceive things. Taught to embrace mine's and others' cultures at an early age has helped me expand my horizons and become more open-minded and understanding to the diversity of society, particularly in an area like New York City. I am Catholic and my best friend is Hindu; eager to explore one of the unique cultural differences between us, I attended a Hindu festival celebration with her at the local temple. It was an incredible experience on my part, opening my mind to a cultural background that was different from my own. Working as an intern at a hospital, I have learned that being considerate towards your patients' customs is essential. It has reinforced the fact that this is not only important in the hospital, but in everyday life. I can only hope that I may be able to bring my experiences and knowledge to University of Rochester. (165 words)

Thank you!
NightRaven 1 / 11  
First one!:

I believe that The University of Rochester is the ideal college for me because it is unique and suits my needs from every angle. The university has high standards in academics, which I find appealing because I'm constantly seeking to challenge myself.I also found through websites and speaking to a representative of the university that it is known as one of the best colleges for students seeking to attend medical school. Attending this school, will not only be a challenge to me, but it will also assist me in achieving my goal of becoming a doctor. By visiting the campus and searching onlinereading from various sources, it seems to me that the students are genuinely happy at the university, with the beautiful campus, city location, variety of clubs, and events. Between the educational benefits and the social life of living on campus, I believe that University of Rochester will provide me with the college experience that I seek.

So, all of that is 101 words, so you can still add a bit more. Here it is without those little crosses, red words:

The University of Rochester is the ideal college for me because it is unique and suits my needs from every angle. Attending this school, will not only be a challenge to me, but it will also assist me in achieving my goal of becoming a doctor. By reading from various sources, it seems to me that the students are genuinely happy at the university, with the beautiful campus, variety of clubs, and events. Between the educational benefits and the social life of living on campus, I believe that University of Rochester will provide me with the college experience that I seek. (101 words)

Second One!:

I believe that my Indian rootsorigin has made a great impact on the waysin which I perceive things. Taught to embrace mine's and others' cultures at an early ageAt an early age, I was taught to embrace every culture.That has helped me expand my horizons and become more open-minded and understanding to the diversity of society, particularly in an area like New York City. I am Catholic and my best friend is Hindu; eager to explore one of the unique cultural differences between us. I attended a Hindu festival celebration with her at the local temple. It was an incredible experience on my part, opening my mind to a cultural background that was different from my own. Working as an intern at a hospital, I have learned that being considerate towards your patients' customs is essentialhas also helped me learn to be considereate towards different cultures. It has reinforced the fact that this is not only important in the hospital, butimportant in everyday life. I can only hope that I may be able to bring my experiences and knowledge to University of Rochester. (165 words)

Gah, 146 words...still no enough.:

I believe that my origin has made a great impact on the ways I perceive things. At an early age, I was taught to embrace every culture. That has helped me expand my horizons and become more open-minded particularly in an area like New York City. I am Catholic and my best friend is Hindu; eager to explore the unique cultural differences between us. I attended a Hindu festival celebration with her at the local temple. It was an incredible experience on my part, opening my mind to a cultural background that was different from my own. Working as an intern at a hospital, has also helped me learn to be considereate towards different cultures. It has reinforced the fact that this is important in everyday life. I can only hope that I may be able to bring my experiences and knowledge to University of Rochester. (146 words)

For the second one, I think you're going a different way.."where you chose your own learning path"...so, what exactly was the learning path?

Hope I helped!
OP nadine83 6 / 23  
Thank you so much! This was so helpful! =)
angcal3 - / 1  
I'm applying also this year.
For the first answer, I think what you have down is way generic.
I really can't speak for the admins, but a lot of essays they receive will be telling them what is good about the school, like oh, diversity, clubs, etc. Don't put that you think college will be helpful to what you will do later in life (going to med school) find specific things about the school that appeals to you and is a "good fit" for you.

and just like the above, talk about "where you chose your own learning path".
good second essay, I thought

best of luck!
seivert9 4 / 8  
"I can only hope that I may be able to bring my experiences and knowledge to University of Rochester."

You seem uncertain in this sentence. Don't just hope, show them why you are a good fit. Project confidence and others will see that.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Academic standards / Indian roots' - University of Rochester short answer