This accomplishment of mine really made me get to know myself even more.

charlene1699 1 / 1  
Question: "Are there any significant experiences you have had, or accomplishments you have realized, that have helped you define as a person?"

Every experience that I have had made me a better person and it helped me know myself even more. I realized that different challenges in my life made me stronger because after every disappointment that I had encountered, knowing that I surpassed and learned something out of it gives me a sense of fulfillment while the ups of my life are the moments where I harvest all my hard work. It's the time where I enjoy life because I know all my sacrifices were all worth it.

When I was in Grade 1, I was chosen as the representative of our school in Declamation. We had our training every day and every time we're practicing I'm always telling my teacher that my head is aching so she had no choice but to stop practicing and send me home. Because of my many excuses, three days before the contest I backed-out. I did not take this declamation seriously. I'm just making excuses so that they'll choose other representative. I don't want be disappointed because I know in myself I'll just lose this contest. I don't believe in myself that I can win the said contest and my mind set that time is, "How can a little kid win a big competition?" Why would I work hard if I know at the end of the day, all my efforts will just be wasted?

Three years after, when I transferred to another school, they asked me if I'm willing to be the representative of our school. This time, I took the risk and accepted it. To make the long story short, I believed in myself that I can win the contest and I know this really helped me because I won 3rd place out of more than 20 participants. I considered this as a big accomplishment in my life and I can say that this experience helped me define as a person. Since when I won the contest, I started believing in myself that I can accomplish big things and I know in myself I have the potential in doing such things. I realized that I should not settle for anything less than I deserve. I just have to believe in myself. I can say that this experience has taught me so many lessons. I realized that not everything that started bad may end up bad because through my perseverance, I believe I can do it.

Another experience in my life that helped be define as a person is when I first started playing violin. It's the time when I'm rehearsing for the upcoming recital. So when my teacher asked me what song I want to play I said to her "Love on Top by Beyonce" She was a little bit shocked with my choice of music. She told me the notes of that song are too high. She even asked me if I can just choose another song but I told her that is really what I want. So she had no choice but to teach me that even I know she's not really in favor of that. She didn't want me to play that song because she don't believe I can do it and worst is she said, "if somebody will ask you who your teacher is, don't tell them I'm your teacher." I just laughed at her but deep inside I was really hurt. Every time I'm rehearsing that song, I always here people around me saying, "You're out of tune!", "The sound is irritating!" and even when I'm practicing at home I always here those words and worst is, "can you just stop playing violin?" Every time I hear those words I feel depressed and I said to myself, "I wish I just didn't study this instrument." And so I didn't let myself be sad so I just made those words as my motivation in practicing even more. Even when people are always saying that, I just don't mind them. I go to my room every time I practice so that no one can hear me. It's just between me and my violin.

Time passed by and the day of recital came. I did my best and when I play the song "Love on top". Thank you God! I can really say that all my efforts paid off! My mother was about to cry and she was teary-eyed the whole time I'm performing. My dad is really supportive and he was walking and walking. Only to find out, he was finding a good spot because he'll take a video of me. I saw him sitting on the floor because there are no more vacant chairs on the front row. Those claps of random people really motivated me. And so after my performance, all those negative comments were gone! All I can here is, "you're so great, how'd do that?" and even my teacher got shocked with my performance and she said that she didn't expect that I'll be that great. She's indeed proud that I was her student. BIG THANKS TO GOD because He's really the one who helped me! As the saying goes, "Anything is possible when you believe."

This accomplishment of mine really made me get to know myself even more. And after my performance, when I pass by people, I can hear them saying, "that is the violinist who played well!" I know I really worked hard to get to where I am. I didn't get to where I am by just letting things happen, I made things happen. I'm not saying that I'm perfect; nobody is. It's just that I've been through a lot of challenges that have made me who I am; I've had experiences that made me stronger, experiences that taught me lessons that I will treasure forever. Like any other person, I've made mistakes and I've learned from them. . I'm extremely happy with my life right now, therefore nothing is worth regretting because without every single event that I've experienced, I wouldn't be exactly who I am today.
swj97 1 / 2  
I think you did a good job in selecting the experiences and accomplishments to discuss. However, they were somewhat poorly developed in your writing (especially the first one) and difficult to connect to any one central idea on how you define yourself as a person. There are places where you have made grammar and usage mistakes and sentences that do not really flow well. For example, "This accomplishment of mine really made me get to know myself even more. And after my performance, when I pass by people, I can hear them saying, "that is the violinist who played well!" I know I really worked hard to get to where I am." I feel like the ideas presented in each of these sentences can be condensed into one. I'm getting the sense you may not be a native English speaker, which I'm sure might make things difficult, but I hope this was helpful and I wish you luck.
Every experience that I have had made me a better person and it helped me know myself even morebetter.

Well... the question is focused on particular experiences or accomplishments that you had in your life that helped the most to define your personality. So I feel it is better if you be more specific on them. The above paragraph is not really answering the prompt as it is too open to include every experience of yours. I think you have elaborated too much on that fact which is actually not what they want to know.

Home / Undergraduate / This accomplishment of mine really made me get to know myself even more.