Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Accounting formulas and textbooks - academic goals / personal global perspective

yindra 2 / 2  
Please advise on my grammar for my essay. Having only learnt English as a second language is especially hard in essay writing. I really want to get into the Semester at Sea program that I wrote drafts for the two topics, which essay do you think I best submit? Thank you (:

Prompt 1 : What are your academic goals, and how will Semester at Sea help you to you achieve them? Include at least two examples.
While most of my friends were taking great interest in teen idols and videogames, I, as an 11-year-old child needed something far more complicated to grasp my interest. Back when the Internet was only connectable through telephone lines, I was eagerly learning to practice my English by blogging.

Determined to have a better visualized site, I spent hours online learning tutorials for HTML and CSS web coding then pestering my parents to purchase graphic designing softwares. The intricacy and challenge was feeding my quest for knowledge; and simultaneously I was able to connect with people from around the world. Thus when decision was made that I was not enrolling to a graphic or web major, I left everyone puzzled.

Never been one that is traditional, I aim to impact society in a bigger manner. Business is centered on the exchange of one good or service for another in an effort to improve community's standard of living. Mastering these intricacies, methods and strategies involved in this exchange is my academic goal. And when that answer still does not satisfy the people asking why International Business, I would repeat my mantra "Why pursue something I can learn myself?" I have been designing for my shoe brand that had been in the market since 2011 and more than once had internships where they required Photoshop ability, also tutoring a few of my friends in website coding - and those experiences were done without studying design exclusively.

Accounting formulas, figures and textbooks do not tell the whole concept of business. And even one country is different from another; society is an interdependent web, relying on its members to meet each other's needs. Learning about the vigorous environment that drives Asian countries' global governance through a computer screen will not be as comprehensive as through Semester at Sea. For example, I can experience diverse cultural traditions of negotiations and dynamics of buying and selling at China or India then sit on classes by esteemed lecturers. Moreover, direct exposure issues like South Africa's stagnant reduce of poverty and low living standards in developing countries like Vietnam will provide me a bird's eye view of the global issues in order to address their challenges. Furthermore, I can also gain perspective about innovations from fashion capitals like Barcelona and Hong Kong to one of the greenest country, Mauritius.

Semester at Sea poses as a melting pot and a learning media where I could immerse in multicultural experience directly instead of through a computer. Not only would I be able to see the world from my eyes, but also through people from different parts of the world and gain from their outlooks. Another example is, with broadened perspective I can view what bodes well globally and make a better informed decision on my business and career path. Hence I expect to embark and return as an enhanced global citizen that is one step closer to her goal.

Home / Undergraduate / Accounting formulas and textbooks - academic goals / personal global perspective