Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"accounting would be a great career" - Trying to get into University Of Washington

kuzco 1 / -  
I am trying to get into University of Washington and they require a essay:

In my sophomore year at high school my parents came to me and started talking to me about what I wanted to do after I graduated from high school. My mother suggested that I start my life at a community college, and my father disagreed and said that I should start my life by getting a job. My father had explained to me why a job would be better than going to college, and while my mother agreed with him on some points, she talked with him about why I should go to college for the next two years they asked me often if I had decided what I wanted to do with my life yet.

In May of 2008, I graduated high school, having been on the B honor roll once, and getting student of the month. My parents asked me again if I had decided what I wanted to do. I had replied to their question by following my father's advice and applying to numerous amounts of jobs. I got a job working for Wal-Mart being a sales associate in Carson City, NV. Carson City, NV is a two hour commute from where I live. I had to wake up at 7 A.M. brush my teeth, take a shower, and get dressed and then commute to work at 9 A.M. to be there by 11 A.M. and start working. My job at Wal-Mart was stocking shelves and helping customers find items. In about 3 months after working at Wal-Mart, I decided that I didn't want to work at those types of jobs my entire life and that I wanted more than that.

Eventually, I quit my job, and got enrolled into a local community college to further my education so that I could get a better job. I had decided to set my major as computer science in my local community college. Computers had always interested me ever since I was the age of 6 and my father taught me to use QBasic to write games. As I got older to about 13 or 14, I started learning programming languages such as C, C#, C++, PHP, Java, and many others and started writing more advanced games.

Overtime, as I took more college courses and became more knowledgeable about other career fields, I decided that I would rather have computer science as a minor and accounting as a major. The only way I knew of having this possible is by going to a university and getting a Ph.D. in Accounting and a Master's degree in Computer Science. I had realized that accounting would be a great career for me because I like dealing with numbers all day while using computers.

Getting into the University of Washington will provide me opportunities to gain additional knowledge with accounting and computer science. With a tradition of academic excellence and great learning opportunities for students, I believe I would gain so much more than what a community college has to offer to me.

Home / Undergraduate / "accounting would be a great career" - Trying to get into University Of Washington