Achieving an advance level in the field/ Broader knowledge;MEANING of "WELL EDUCATED"

Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
What does it mean to be well educated? 1500 character limit with punctuations and spaces.

To answer this question requires an agreeable definition of being "educated". To me being educated is to go to school, or learning from a teacher. I can be educated in music, I can be educated in science, I can be educated in anything as long as there is somebody to teach and something to learn. In my mind, there are three parts to the definition of "educated". The teacher, the student and the amount.

Now that "educated" is defined, I shall look at the word "well". To what part of "educated" does "well" apply to? The teacher (or the institution) can be extremely qualified, so somebody can be considered "well educated" if their teacher is renowned. For example, a student of Lang Lang might be considered "well-educated" against a self-taught pianist. But if the two students can play on the same level, does the ability of the teacher matter? Could the "well" be applied to the student? If the student has achieved an advanced level in their field of study, like a Graduate degree, then they can be considered as "well-educated". And if the "well" talks of the variety of fields the student has dabbled in, then the "jack of all trades, master of none" can be considered "well-educated".

In conclusion, no matter how famous the teachers and institutions are, the student is not well educated if they do not satisfy either of my other two conditions. So, to be well educated is to achieve an advanced level in their field of study, or have studied in a variety of fields.

1477 characters
hughj 2 / 21 8  
I think it would help if you brought in specific examples of people you know.
I like the analytical approach, but the first part seems a bit shaky.
I do like this though.
OP Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
What do you mean by shaky? Is it the logic, the wording, grammar, or something totally different?

Also, is this essay too boring? I feel that it's fairly dry, but I don't really know how to spice it up. It's a tough question to answer and they only gave 1500 characters. Somebody wrote a 7 page essay on the definition of being "well-educated"... although I don't agree with their points, so it's not a fair comparison.
hughj 2 / 21 8  
By shaky I mean there should be one clear sentence that summarizes what it means to be "educated". Then on the opening of the next paragraph you say "Now that 'educated' is defined". Your definition is kind of spread out across the sentences, but at the end of the paragraph you should bring it to a conclusion.
Taishi 1 / 3  
To me being educated is to go to school, or learning from a teacher. â†' To me being educated is to go to school, or to learn from a teacher.

I think you need to explain more about "The teacher, the student and the amount." , especially the amount. You didn't mention why you chose the amount as one of three aspects.

Could you please give me an evaluation for my essay? I don't need you to correct my grammatical errors. I need to improve my essay!! Thanks!
To answer this question requires an agreeable definition of being "educated".

Hey... it seems your answers have a heavy focus on definitions. I saw this in your "folly" essay too . ;)
That's fine so long as these prompts do not come in one set of applications. If so, it might sound a bit stereo type and be careful about this fact :)

I guess you better put a little more effort to improve the presentation of this conclusion. I know you can do a good job ;)
sushipanda 2 / 1  
I think you have gone by the literal meaning of the question. You have tried to define what every word in the question means. Maybe you should just let the heart think! I have heard the college admission officers like emotional people. Try improving your essay by getting some emotion into it.

By emotion I mean an example that says that one of your acquaintances in very learned but does not act educated, like he doesn't act kind, whereas your gardener despite of being not very learned is very grateful and kind!

I think they ask what EDUCATED people are, you have defined LEARNED. A hairline difference, but is significance!

Thanks for reading my essay :-))
hughj 2 / 21 8  
This is a PDF with a collection of quotes about education. quotationsbook.com/assets/shared/pdf/tag/education.pdf
good luck! hope this helps.
OP Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
Thank you for your help, everybody! Yeah, I realize what you mean. Anybody can learn things, but if they don't apply those teachings then they can't call themselves well-educated. Looks like I have two more revisions to do, yay...
moon05 13 / 133 20  
hey Kitsumi can you kindly give a look at the Camp Rising Sun essay?
karentu0315 1 / 2  
dear

e

Kitsumi.
I think you should have a focus.
To me, there are too many vague points.
seeker194 1 / 10  
Hello Kitsumi,
Your paragraphs have many examples. what exactly are you stating? The focus of your answer becomes lost within the examples . Why don't you write transition sentences in between the examples of your three parts of definition? I think it will make your paragraph a lot smoother :)
marcushbh 2 / 7  
It's very good! I think the transition between the paragraph1 and 2 is enough. The explanations you listed are clear. However, the first read of this essay is a kind of dry.

I like it .
sidney007 4 / 10 3  
Hi Kitsumi,

In my opinion you have done pretty much justice to the defining part....You could write more about what being "well educated" means to you(since you still have haven't exhausted the word limit).

That will give the AO a better idea of your viewpoint.

If you can cut a bit on the "well" part and include some specific examples, it will be great.

Otherwise well done!!
nair 7 / 21 3  
I find your conclusion to be slightly weak. I was expecting a greater impact when I read the final part but it's more analytical. I can't help you much with grammar because I'm equally bad at it but try to make it slightly more interesting. Hope I helped.

Help with mine please?
OP Kitsumi 4 / 97 16  
Thank you everybody!
I completely re-wrote almost all my essays, but I'm not gonna post them since I already sent them off.

Home / Undergraduate / Achieving an advance level in the field/ Broader knowledge;MEANING of "WELL EDUCATED"