'acoustic guitar' - short answer response for Common App

wozzcat1990 1 / 1  
Before I play acoustic guitar, i make it a point to put myself in tune with the instrument. The etudes and exercises can wait; a clear mind is essential for any sort of education and application. To begin, I always make sure its body is pressed flat and firm against my chest, like a badge; loose straps are not for me. My next act is a heavy pluck of the deep low 'E' string, followed by a long breath. That lonely bass note knocks on the back of the guitar and is let into my body. It recalls the simple, but powerful drone of a Buddhist chant. Instantly, I feel warm and full, as if a Christmas dinner had just been eaten. I let the sound hum inside me until my head feels light. The note rings until its lost somewhere between my heart and my spine. Finally, I exhale and begin to play.
Mango17 - / 15  
Each time before I begin toplay myacoustic guitar, I make it a point to put myself in tune with the instrument. The etudes and exercises can wait; a clear mind is essential for any sort of education and application. To begin, I always make sure its body is pressed flat and firm against my chest, like a badge; loose straps are not for me . My next act is a heavy pluck of the deep low 'E' string, followed by a long, deep breath. That lonely bass note's poweful virbation knocks on the back of the guitar and is let into my body. It recalls the simple, but compelling drone of a Buddhist chant. Instantly, I feel warm and full, as if a Christmas dinner had just been eaten. I let the sound hum inside me until my head feels light. The note rings until its lost somewhere between my heart and my spine. Finally, I exhale and begin to play.

I think it is a good essay and is very deep. Only other critique is that I would consider finding another way to convey your thoughts than by the sentence "I feel warm and full, as if a Christmas dinner had just been eaten". I understand the powerful message you are trying to convey but perhaps there is a better example.

Good luck!
Tanici1401 2 / 9  
This description shows the intensity you feel while playing the guitar and I like it but I agree with the person above, the Christmas dinner part is distracting.
OP wozzcat1990 1 / 1  
I've gathered some books on application essays over the past few days and I noticed many of them suggest avoiding too much description of a single act. Is it possible that this essay is too descriptive and does not convey a direct lesson I have learned from playing guitar?

Home / Undergraduate / 'acoustic guitar' - short answer response for Common App