'the active applause to the last song' - work of music that has surprised me?

inspirit 1 / -  
College of Arts and Sciences: What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way? Word count-half page/250 words.

--------

Listening to the active applause to the last song, my heart beat starts racing faster and my sweaty palms have become even sweatier. I slowly walk up in front of the still audience to the resting piano bench that lies before me, with nothing else but my nervous self and my formal attire. I hadn't stop thinking about the argument with my best friend and how much it aggravated both of us ever since the recital started. But I knew that the show must go on and such useless thoughts would only hinder the way of my performance. Trying to forget about the argument, I couldn't forget about the distressing emotions lying inside of me. Calmed down from the nervousness, I was ready to unleash my emotions into the piano, playing Yann Tiersen's La Valse D'Amelie.

Yann Tiersen's brilliant composed piano piece, La Valse D'Amelie, has surprisingly taught me that playing piano can be an excellent way to feel better. When playing this song, I listen to the mix of fiery and dismal emotions Tiersen tries to express to listeners. The song portrays the afflicting emotions inside of me. The song starts off slow and restful yet glum, gradually speeds up with more dynamic notes in the middle, and ends with a soft and peaceful finish. It can perfectly depict how one can get so angry, let the anger out, and then cool down afterwards.

---------

My introduction is pretty long but I believe that I could really intrigue my readers if I write about a realistic anecdote! I haven't finished the conclusion but I want some feedback/corrections on how I'm doing so far. I know this is all last minute, but any little help is always appreciated! Thank you!
nkcnatalee864 4 / 11  
As I hear the audience's exuberant response to the last performer, my heart beats faster and my sweaty palms become even sweatier. The applause finally settles down, and I slowly approach the piano bench, with nothing else but my nervous self and my formal attire. But behind my nervous exterior, anger dwelled. I couldn't stop thinking about an argument I had had with my best friend only moments before. I knew that the show must go on, but I could not forget the sea of emotions raging within me. How could I play like this? Suddenly, I was struck by inspiration. I sat down upon the bench and unleashed my every emotion, pain, anger, sadness, into the piano, as I played Yann Tiersen's passionate La Valse D'Amelie.

You already said you havent finished with the conclusion, so I don't have to tell you to finish it. But overall good idea!
dychung7 7 / 19  
Is this for UVA?
Anyways, I think this essay would be better for the Common App extracurricular. The introduction is intriguing but focus more on the "meaningful" part of this piano song.

Home / Undergraduate / 'the active applause to the last song' - work of music that has surprised me?