activities, academic instersts - USC Short Answers

TimMill 9 / 63  
Hey guys

I just wanted to get your opinion on these short answers- they're very straightforward. Is that okay? Do I need to get all fancy and creative with the short answers, or can I just answer them simply, like I have? Thanks.

In approximately one paragraph each, please answer the following questions:

Tell us about an activity that is important to you, and why. Please feel free to talk about an activity other than one you may have discussed in your essay.

By the late 18th century, the French philosopher Voltaire had said, "we must cultivate our garden". I take that advice to heart- this world, I think, is only as good as we make it.

Hence, I'm the community service guy. Whether it's getting the crew together for a night at the soup kitchen, rebuilding homes in New Orleans, tutoring music to the Middle School students, or leading an Eagle project involving 40 people and totaling more than 200 hours of work, if there's a service project in Lynnfield, chances are good I'm running it. My claim to fame, though, would be the Walk for Hunger- Team TRIX, the walk team I've led for the last six years, has had over 60 unique participants, raised over $16,000 for the hungry in Massachusetts, and been the source of hundreds of service hours for Lynnfield students. The 20-mile walk to benefit the hungry in Massachusetts is now an anticipated event in Lynnfield, despite the fact that six years ago only four of us had even heard of it. Most recently, I was able to recruit Lynnfield High School Tri-M Music Society and two jazz bands to play at the Walk for Hunger. What that meant was a ton of administrative homework and headaches- managing dozens of people and thousands of dollars, transporting teams and keeping everybody informed and updated, advertising the team, communicating with Walkers and Project administrators... there's a lot involved. Nonetheless, I'm rarely happier than when I know that I'm actively effecting change in this world.

Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections.

I like numbers, I like equations, and I like facts. As a result, I love math and science. In math and science, things make sense- numbers verify themselves, equations actually equate, and facts don't change. More than that, though, math and science have immediate application- in designing the set for the school play for the last couple years, at some point or another I've used practically every geometry and trigonometry principle I've ever learned. Or for another example, basic chemistry and physics principles helped my friends and I perfect our potato cannon last summer.

At USC, I'm looking forward to not only to continue learning math and science, but also to using them. I'm happiest when I'm working, and the types of things that I'm drawn to inevitably involve math and science. Ultimately, I have three hopes of USC- first, to continue learning, particularly math and science, because I always find it fascinating the way that advanced concepts tie into the basic fundaments of the subjects. Next, I hope to continue using math and science daily, outside of classes, whether in building a loft bed in my dorm or perfecting the gardening conditions of the land outside. Finally, I hope to prepare myself for a career where I can continue to make numbers work for me, changing my life and the lives of those around me for the better.

Thanks guys! I don't think I need full corrections, but if something is wrong, please tell me... I just want to know if I need to make these more exciting or if they're fine. Thanks!
26matrices 2 / 4  
I like the first one. You did great with examples to describe the importance.

As for the 2nd one, is there something special at USC that can fulfill your goal or is it just general for any other school?
The late 18th century French philosopher Voltaire had said, "We must...

You can use a dash for this long one:
or leading an Eagle project involving forty people and totaling more than two hundred hours of work -- if th ere's a service project in Lynnfield, chances are good I'm running it.

That first essay is very impressive.

I like numbers; I like equations; I like facts.
or
I like numbers. I like equations. and I like facts.

This is probably best:
I like numbers. I like equations and facts. ...

Home / Undergraduate / activities, academic instersts - USC Short Answers