Adapter, Wikipedia, Prism: Boston University Supplement

Highlanders 1 / -  
In five or six sentences, tell us how you first became interested in BU and what steps you have taken to learn more about us. Characters available 750

Boston University is located in Boston, the place where I can enjoy the opportunity to interact with other people, share ideas with diverse population within Boston. However, it was the discussion with the Boston University's admission representative in my high school that I became particularly interested in Boston University. Furthermore, from BU's website, I found political science internship programs in five world's leading nations fascinating, as I could learn deeply about politics from experience than from books. Moreover, BU's Collaborative Degree Program allows me to achieve my goal of studying law in a graduate school while taking both College of Arts and Science and College of Communication, another interested area of study.

Essay #1: In an essay of no more than 500 words, please select three words that describe you best and tell us how you will use these qualities/characteristics to contribute fully to the BU community.

Allow me to use metaphors to describe myself, for I believe that having abstract adjectives would certainly not deliver the full sense of who I am than having solid objects that have symbolism in them. As such, I believe that multi-purpose adapter, Wikipedia, and prism are the best objects to explain myself and will bring positive change to BU community.

I am a multi-purpose adapter. An adapter can supply electricity to an electronic application that does not have a plug that is adjusted to a foreign outlet. Like an adapter I am a person who can not only easily adapt oneself to the unfamiliar environment, but also can utilize that adaptability to contribute something to the new environment. Entering the high school, I had difficulty adjusting to the new culture and new education system, aside from being unfamiliar to English. The school culture was characterized by liberalism, which I found radically different from that of my home country. Like other ESL students who had similar conservative education from their home country, I was in a state of confusion after knowing that a student could argue, or assert his own opinion or thought to a learning. From this supposedly foreign environment, however, I started to accept the new system and culture, and became an active participant in school community, serving for Model United Nations, and providing my knowledge on computer skills to build the foundation of the new online publication. Likewise, in Boston University, my adapter characteristic will help me not only in adapting to the new academic field, but also in becoming one of the foremost active member in my interested extracurricular activities.

I am Wikipedia. Knowledge I gain from others is accumulated in my mind, and then utilized to share the knowledge with others. The openness and freedom in modifying information of an article is what Wikipedia distinguishes itself from other encyclopedias, and I am more of Wikipedia than anything else. Therefore, my strength lies on being humble and respect to others' opinion when I learn from somebody, and I am more than welcome to share my knowledge with others. It was this spirit that led me to help teaching theatre for the less fortunate children in local school as my community service in my junior year. As for a theatre student, actively and

I am a prism. Just like how the prism receives light from one source and reflects it to multiple sides, I am a person who can consider, show and tell different perspectives on a given subject. This had greatly helped me to become a successful administrator of a website that dealt with political and social issues in Korea for more than two years, managing to maintain objective administering to both progressive and conservatives. Likewise, I believe that I can become the prism in BU community, providing thoughtful considerations, thereby building strength of the student body.
It is probably not good to start with something so obvious:
Boston University is located in Boston...

And this is too general, too vague to be meaningful:
...the place where I can enjoy the opportunity to interact with other people, share ideas with diverse population within Boston.
However, it was during a discussion with the Boston University's admission representative in my high school that I...
Furthermore, from BU's website, I found political science internship programs-----and right here is an opportunity to tell about some specific things you would like to do, some specific internships you would enjoy. You are supposed to share some of your plan.

I think the first essay lacks substance, and you can do better if you describe a plan for the next few years.
Ha ha, excellent, I like it that you call yourself Wikipedia.

Allow me to use metaphors to describe myself, for I believe that having abstract adjectives would certainly not deliver the full sense of who I am; than having solid objects that have symbolism in them. symbolic significance can represent me better.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Adapter, Wikipedia, Prism: Boston University Supplement