My Addiction - Computer Science Application

Katlynedwards 8 / 21  
Prompt: Computer science and engineering requires creativity, teamwork, and strong academic ability. We value breadth of interest, leadership, and diversity. Tell us about your academic and personal interests, goals, and what you will bring to the CSE community.

In addition, address any of the following topics if they apply to you (do not discuss if they do not apply):
If you have applied to CSE before, tell us specifically how you have improved as an applicant since your previous application.
If you will pursue more than one major, explain why both majors are important to you.
The UW's satisfactory progress policy requires graduation by the time you earn 210 credits. If you will earn more than 210 credits, explain why and discuss your plan for graduating efficiently. If admitted, you will need to discuss your plan with an adviser.

Studying Informatics and Human Centered Design and Engineering has provided me with a broad perspective on the process of creating technical products outside of coding them. I've learned about the design process, beginning with project charters, and mission statements. I've discussed incorporating users you're your design through interviews and focus groups. I've explored how to take the results of those interactions and create personas to base your product on. I've practiced implementing those personas into use cases and building basic prototypes. I've also spent time learning about color theory and visual communication, and what goes into a product that is considered "well designed" . I've also learned about what happens after a product is coded and near completion - user research, testing your new product on a targeted group of people, and modifying it based on the results. I've taken classes in all of these great things, but what I want to be able to do the most is to create any product I've designed. The perspective I would bring to the Computer Science Department would incorporate my knowledge from both Informatics and Human Centered Design and Engineering. I would like to be "the bridge" between the designers and the developers. I hope not only to be able to draft up an idea and incorporate good design aspects, but to also be able to implement that idea, and to make it a reality.

"Curious"? Yes, I am curious computer science, but the words just don't carry the right weight. Maybe "interested in"? My friends jokingly call it "an addiction". Finding the right words to convey how much computer science means to me is never an easy task. My friends and family pester me, "Why do you want to study computer science? You've got two perfectly good majors in a similar field." I'm fascinated by computer science. The idea of being able to make something so intricate and complex out of thin air has always captivated me. Programming has become almost a bad habit. I push all of my other work out of the way, in order spend time immersed into a program. Whether it's building a maze generator, or a new website, the excitement of problem solving, keeps me up late into the night, perfecting a project. I knew the moment I played with my first chunk of HTML code, attempting to memorize all of the unruly tags, I had gotten swept into something big. Ever since then, I haven't been able to stop.

Learning to create programs in Java and Python was only the beginning. I've recently discovered applications that allow you to program your cell phone - one of my most treasured pieces of technology. My phone is a sort of home base - I can check emails, see the weather, communicate with friends, and play games. Being able to program my phone has brought me so much more insight into the benefits of computer science. You can program your phone to remember your parking space when you stop driving, and begin walking. You can program your phone to text your friend when the battery gets low. The opportunities are endless.

In order to spend more time with computer science, and to share my excitement with others, I became a teaching assistant for the computer science department. Becoming a teaching assistant has become a large influence in my life. It has provided me with an outlet to further pursue my interests and discover new things. Teaching has also shown me the amazement of students who are genuinely interested and want to learn. Of course, teaching has also helped me overcome smaller hurdles, such as public speaking, and being able to look at and explain a topic from multiple perspectives. Becoming a teaching assistant has also provided me with a sense of community. The TA community has helped me to make many great friends that I hope to keep long past college. I'm extremely glad that I've been presented with such an amazing opportunity.

My goal after UW is to become a front-end software developer. I want to be able to point at something on the screen, and say "I made that, it looks cool, and it works". As mentioned in my short response, I'm currently a double major with Human Centered Design and Engineering as well as Informatics. These majors have provided me with the opportunity to stay well rounded, and provide me with many skills outside of coding and developing products. The coursework in these majors focuses less on actually creating a finished project, and more on how the project could be designed in a clean and intuitive fashion.

I've applied to the CSE department twice before. After my most recent application, I discussed with the advisors ways to improve my odds. Although both my science and math grades needed improvement, I was only able to take math courses due to schedule restrictions with Informatics and HCDE. In the past two quarters, I've taken the non-majors Data Structures and Algorithms course (CSE 373) as well as Introduction to Differential Equations (Math 307). Had time permitted, I would have liked to taken the Introductory Biology class (BIO 180). I've also upheld the Dean's List every quarter starting from Winter 2011.

Running start, combined with double majoring has already brought me close to the 210 credit limit. I'm currently standing on 206 credits, and still have at least one more year until I am able to complete my current degrees. I've only spent two years at the UW, and would like to be here for another two years, in order to have the full college experience and learn as much as I can.

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve upon. Thanks for your time ;]
Studying Informatics, Human Centered Design, and Engineering has ...---I know why you typed it the way you did, but despite the program names you can make this sentence look proper, with commas separating the items on the list.

... provided me with a broad perspective on the process of creating technical products. outside of coding them. Need to shave off the excess information.

Right here, again, shave off the excess:
I've explored how to tak e the results of those interactions and created personas on which to base products.

I would like to be "the bridge" between the designers and the developers. I hope not only to be able to draft up an idea and incorporate good design aspects, but to also be able to implement that idea, and to make it a reality. ---great stuff here.

"Curious"? Yes, I am curious about computer science, but the words just don't

Learning to create programs in Java and Python was only the beginning. I've recently discovered applications that allow people to program their cell phones...---it's offensive to type "you"

Excellent stuff here, I think you'll be well received. Try to find ways to take out unnecessary "excess" words so the writing packs a harder punch. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / My Addiction - Computer Science Application