Admin Officer/ Neuroscience/ courses/ Sudan/Something you are Proud about/Brown Supp

mgabir 6 / 2 1  
How did you find out about Brown? For example, from a person, publication, campus visit, etc.?

In my hunt to find the Ivy League school that I would flourish in, I drove two hours across town to attend Exploring Education Excellence to hear what makes Brown University unique. Talking to the admission officer and Brown Alumni, with my research, made me realize what a great fit Brown is for me.

Why are you drawn to the area(s) of study you indicated?

The brain is one of components of the body that human kind least knows about. With so many ambiguities about how it works, it becomes mind blowing (pun intended). In this golden age of knowledge, I want to study Neuroscience because there are so many facets still to discover about the brain.

Why does this academic environment appeal to you?

In the standard core curriculum, everyone has to take certain introductory courses whether they like it or not. As a result, there is a multitude of students that will not be as involved as they should. The class serves as a checkpoint that they must pass in order to graduate from college. With the Brown curriculum, everyone in an introductory biology course is either pursuing a Biology major or finds the class appealing. With an eager environment, a class becomes bearable because the students are engaged as much as the instructors. In the Littleton Health Sciences Program, I grew dramatically as a student because everyone actively pursued their interests in the medical field.

Tell us where you have lived-and for how long-since you were born; whether you've always lived in the same place, or perhaps in a variety of places.

My parents emigrated from Sudan before I was born and settled in Colorado. I have been a Coloradoan ever since. Growing up in Denver taught me countless life lessons about the blessings and struggles life has to offer. There aren't many places that can compare to what Colorado offers.

I felt like I truly belonged when...

I felt like I truly belonged when I unlocked the chest and held up the diamond prize in front of two hundred fellow student leaders acknowledging the effort I put into solving the elaborate puzzle.

What is something you created that makes you especially proud, and why?

In middle school, I loved web designing and was thrilled to find out that the school offered a class just for web designers. For our big project, I had to find someone who would want a web page built for their business. For the first time in the class, I was stumped. Who would trust their business to a middle school student? My teacher called me over and asked if I would build the school's library for them. When I turned in my final product, I felt a sense of fulfillment. My hard work and passion manifested into a tool used by the whole school. Both the librarians and my teacher were proud of my work because they knew I had put my metaphorical blood, sweat, and tears into the web page.

We all exist within communities or groups of various sizes, origins, and purposes; pick one and tell us why it is important to you, and how it has shaped you.

Being a Muslim American, I see the world in a different perspective than people around me. Unlike the traditional American, I balance two polar opposite cultures which often offer conflicting view points on many topics. Whenever I visit my family in Sudan, I notice the subtle differences in the way everyone acts opposed to how Americans treat each other. Some of these qualities can be negative while others might be good. As a result, I can pick and choose the best qualities of each and form a superior way of living. In addition to the discrimination that comes as a result of being Muslim, I learned to sympathize with others because everyone comes from a different background. Each of their individual experiences shaped them into a different person, and I must respect that. One's family roots serve as a lens that each person looks through to see the world around them. Interchanging these lenses help me view the world in many perspectives that others do not get to see.

What question could we ask to gain the most insight into you? What is your answer?

What drives you? One day speaking to my teacher, she looked at me and said, "Never look down on someone unless you are picking them up." This resonated within me because those words were a manifestation of what I try to do every day. I think everyone deserves to have an equal chance to persevere in whatever endeavor they might encounter. If that means people should be caught up to speed, it is an obligation to be there as a caring friend in order to help them. Everyone has the potential to be someone great, but it takes special people to unlock that potential. This is why I make it my responsibility to do whatever I can to help anyone that asks for my support. I often end up tutoring my classmates long into the night even though I might have an exam the next day. In essence, I cannot say no to anyone that asks for assistance because I feel guilty every time I refuse due to the fact that I am crippling them from succeeding. This mindset allows me to see the world in a different light. Whenever I am in an argument with someone, I try to picture what kinds of struggles or situations they have been through in order to reach their position on whatever topic we may be arguing about. Life often pushes a person to their limits but it doesn't hurt to have a helping hand because in the end, we are all one thing: humans. Being human entails making mistakes, and not knowing what to do. Being human makes one vulnerable to the struggle life offers. More importantly, being human allows one to become compassionate. Helping each other is essential to the growth of society because it requires a collaborative effort. I despise the fact that we live in an oppressive society where one's worth outweighs another because they had better access to tools for success. If everyone was concerned about the wellbeing of the whole, humanity would develop at a faster rate.
xphyllisx 6 / 22 1  
Man I really love your writing! Its really hard for me to critique anything you wrote because you answered each question specifically and personally. I guess the only comments i have is for what you wrote for I felt like I truly belonged when...

I don't know, I guess I felt like there was something missing. Maybe start off with the effort you actually put and why it is metaphorically like a diamond prize.

Either way all of what you wrote was awesome!
mzontario 9 / 43  
In my hunt to find the Ivy League school that I would flourish in
^ That sounds a bit pretentious. It kind if comes off as I WOULD ONLY FLOURISH IN IVY LEAGUE.

The brain is one of components of the body that human kind least knows about.
^ The brain is one component of the body that humans know little about.

In the standard core curriculum, everyone has to take certain introductory courses whether they like it or not.
^ Take out the 'whether they like it or not.' Sounds like they're not holding a gun to your head.

^ Very vague.

Overall, good ideas but you can definitely combine a couple of ideas and make them more concise - especially for the communities question.

Home / Undergraduate / Admin Officer/ Neuroscience/ courses/ Sudan/Something you are Proud about/Brown Supp