admission essay: raise student achievement

Abby5 8 / 19 4  
This has been revised from my previous version.
Suggestions on how t o make this essay better. Should I take some out or elaborate on something?

The greatest obstacle I expect to encounter as I raise student achievement in a high-need school would be overcoming disengagement due to the lack of a personalized lesson plan. Based on my experiences as a student, peer, and substitute teacher in high-need classrooms, the absence of tailored instruction can be an impediment. My brother's educational experiences were dictated by an attitude of presumed failure. My own disenchantment with school was due to the absence of a challenge. Both of these commonalities lacked personal instruction and are a contributors to achievement potential. As students we often felt that were lost in the crowd, which progressed into a denouncement of ownership in our educational endeavors. In order to tackle this challenge, I will assess and adapt to each student's level of ability and learning strengths. I will design lesson plans that engage every learning style and establish clear milestones to track students' academic progress.

My older brother had measurable learning disabilities as a young child. By the time he entered high school, he had become so hardened by his inability to process materials in the manner presented that he withdrew. Broken, he literally ran from school, never to return. As a substitute teacher I witnessed instructors overwhelmed with the varying skills sets present in the classroom. Addressing these deficits is difficult and time consuming for teachers and students alike. Too often this compounding issue is ignored; the teacher continues to introduce new material, hoping that students will strengthen their base skills independently. As exemplified by my brother, this approach causes frustration and compounds insecurity.

From my experience as a junior high and high school student, I demonstrated that many students in a high-need demographic are initially enthusiastic about learning, but find that they can be get good grades by only skimming through the material. As a student, I felt that my abilities were not acknowledged and wouldn't actualize my future. I disconnected by opting to attend an independent study program.

To acquire a balance where all students are challenged requires a component of one-on-one guidance. As a teacher, I will set high expectations for all students, knowing that all students can and will achieve in my classroom. With clear, written-out objectives, my personalized lesson plans will let students know what they are learning and what is expected of them. Assignments will be imbedded with learning goals to give students ample opportunity to practice new skills.

As a teacher, each lesson plan I design would be goal oriented, implementing structure in the classroom. I will engage the entire classroom to foster collaboration and heighten intellectual engagement among students. I will set the groundwork for students to simultaneously seek out assistance from their peers in areas where they need help as well as be consulted on subjects in which they feel comfortable. To build confidence in all learning approaches, I will encourage multiple paths to demonstrating content knowledge. This could include traditional methods such as completing a test or writing a paper, or a nontraditional medium such as designing a model or presenting a self-directed video. To attach value to material content, I will provide problems on subjects relevant to students' interests and provide real-life examples of implementation.

Within the school year, my goal to is to gradually strengthen the base interdisciplinary skills for all students through continued opportunities to bolster individuals' skills sets within specific lesson plans. In providing the framework and support to strengthen learning skills, students will increase their lifelong skill set and be afforded a successful future.
davidjaychoi 3 / 6 1  
How would you deal with students who arent motivates to study? Would you move on with your lesson plan or would you regress back to make sure everyone is on the same level? For this lesson plan to work everyone has to be willing to achiece persobal greatness. How will you deal with the lazy ones?

Home / Undergraduate / admission essay: raise student achievement