UM Admission, Unique qualities of Taubman College - Did I include enough?

daisiekae 3 / 7  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

Not sure if I touched on enough "unique qualities" of this college? Any tips to make it better?
Also, I don't know if it is acceptable to abbreviate the name of schools in admissions essay? (like U of M and Taubman instead of writing out the whole name) Will I be considered lazy if I leave it as is?

And is it ok not to write out the name of my community college? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that after seeing it in the rest of my application, they don't need a further summary of what school I am specifically attending.

Thank you!

When I enrolled in my community college the idea was to explore my future career options while taking general education courses. Never having been one to simply be satisfied with something, I wanted to be passionate in what I chose. I went through many phases, trying to find something I truly could see myself doing. I thought of being an artist or an interior designer. And however unrelated it may be to my other interests, I even considered pursuing a career as an orthodontist. Through my search, I have discovered a great interest in architecture, and can no longer imagine myself in any other field. I want to specifically pursue an education at the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning for several reasons, both academic and personal.

Academically, I feel that Taubman can offer me the best preparation possible for the field I have chosen. I attended the architecture open house, and was very impressed with the resources available to students in the program. I enjoyed seeing the studio area, and was also very interested in options such as international projects, internship programs and research opportunities. I feel that with all that the University of Michigan has available, I will be able to get the best education possible.

After graduating, I chose to enroll at OCC for several reasons. One of which being that I don't feel that my high school education served very well to prepare me for a four year university; I wanted to strengthen my educational foundation. Another reason is simply that it was comfortable; I could live at home, and I didn't have to travel very far. After studying at a community college, know that I have prepared myself and that I'm ready to become a part of a larger institution. Personally, What attracts me to U of M is the atmosphere. At the open house I got the impression that U of M and more specifically Taubman has a great sense of community on campus. This is much different to what I am used to in a community college and I have a strong desire to be a part of it. Another point that draws me to U of M is the great Ann Arbor setting, which can be an experience of its own.

I feel that the curriculum of Taubman College has the ability to serve both my academic and personal needs. I wish to be a part of Taubman's community and I believe that it is the perfect place for me to continue my education in the field of architecture.
I thought of being an artist or an interior designer.

Interior design IS an art.
So is architecture... I'm excited about your career!

How about more discussion of the curriculum...
I get a sense that they want you to demonstrate knowledge of the curriculum for your program.

Yeah... I like the essay, but the thing that is missing is discussion of Taubman and the curriculum, etc... they want to know that you have made an informed decision about what you are doing. Make this, partly, a report about the program and what you know about it.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / UM Admission, Unique qualities of Taubman College - Did I include enough?