admission essay Uof NotreDame: why i'm different

sjkang91 1 / -  
What makes me different from others,,,
Unlike most teenagers, I end my day at 10 PM. While other teenagers might enjoy staying up late to watch movies or play video games, I prefer to go to bed early and wake up at 5 AM every day, and it is quite unusual for me to vary from this routine. Sometimes, my friends will ask me, "When do you go to bed?" and when I reply, I am often teased for "being a kid."

Raised up in an oriental family, I was given many expectations and responsibilities from my parents to do my best academically. My parents were raised up poorly in one of the worst economic times for our country, Korea that they could barely make a meal each day. My dad could not find hope anywhere but in his academic success, which would at least bring meals to his family. Since then, my dad was focused solely on his studying, setting aside his wants to play, eat, rest, and sleep, and became a pharmacist. Having experienced the potency of human will and determination and their outcome, my parents expect the same effort they had from me to attain my potential as well.

Moreover, I have come to the United States by God's guidance, staying in a pastor's family I have known for eight years. Hereby myself, I am given more pressure and expectations that I would have had if I lived with my family in Korea. Though facing a culture I have never experienced, I endeavor to retain my goal that I attempt to be reminded of my family and persistently disown my desires to give up. I have become to be a very goal-oriented person, planning every event ahead of time and tracking one by one. For I do not desire to limit my potential in academically only, I engage in various school activities and community services to balance myself. Without doubt, I am yet incomplete and deficient in many ways-like my English skill as an international student. However, I am eager to challenge myself to attain the best of me and strongly believe that God will help me that my endeavor and willingness will affect the Notre Dame community as one of its members to pursue its guidance and achieve its prospects.

Why interested in NotreDame

Living in a small city in Michigan, I do not have many chances to visit colleges, unless I move a long distance. Fortunately, Notre Dame is one of the few colleges I could actually visit. On my visit, I was immediately impressed by its campus site: the quietness and simple beauty with a squared-pond, several sculptures, a small fountain, and the magnificent church covered with a golden dome. Notre Dame is well known among the college students in my town for the quiet atmosphere of its library and good cafeteria food that they often drive there to study or simply to eat. Of course, campus life cannot be the only cause in choosing a college. It is, yet, a critical element if I am to stay in one place and spend time for years; therefore, Notre Dame is certainly an appealing and enjoyable place to attend for my college life
G Dragon 2 / 1  
Good essay. Try to delineate more factors about NotreDame that attracts you
Sometimes, my friends will ask me, "When do you go to bed?" and when I reply, I am often teased for "being a kid." ----right after this sentence, before you end that first paragraph, give a thesis sentence that really powerfully expresses the notion that going to be early enables you to achieve everything you want to achieve.

Finish this off with a powerful statement, in the conclusion paragraph, about your clear plan for making a powerful impact on your chosen field.

:-)

Living in a small city in Michigan, I do not have many chances to visit colleges, unless I move a long distance. Fortunately, Notre Dame is one of the few colleges I could actually visit.

I don't think it is helpful or necessary to say the reason you chose it was because you could not visit many other places. :-) !!!!!!!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / admission essay Uof NotreDame: why i'm different