Admissions Essay - Character of Fiction...#4

nikkicp 1 / 1  
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (art, music, science) that has had an influence on you. Explain that influence.

Usually I stay away from the television. I especially stay away from doctor shows that reveal the inner organs of patients and 22-inch tapeworms living inside a stomach. It is not exactly the type of show I want to watch just before dinner. However, whenever my mother asks me to join her in watching the show House M.D., I never turn down the offer.

These doctors are not like the ones we visit annually so they can look in our ears and shove Popsicle sticks down our throats while they ask awkward questions in front of our parents. They specialize in diagnosing and curing patients with uncommon illnesses.

This show seems to inspire me. Every solution they discover to a problem they come up with in seconds and always have logical answers to explain. It is amazing how much knowledge they have even as some are newly hired doctors.

Everything about them reflects the amount of confidence they hold, how they walk, how they argue their opinions, even the tone of voice they use. It all portrays a strong aura of confidence and maturity.

Doctor Gregory House always has his team brainstorm up ideas, makes them run tests to figure out what could be wrong, but he always seems to "accidentally" find out exactly what the illness is. He is a grouchy, sarcastic, brilliant jerk that hates people. His job is all about solving puzzles, which he always finds the answer to.

Through a process of trial and error they always come to a conclusion at the end of the show. They are obedient and only speak against if they have a logical explanation. If the patient's heart stops they manage to find revive the pulse. Every mistake they make leads them closer to their conclusion.

I aspire to be as intelligent, logical, and confident as these doctors portray throughout the workday. I want to be the one who always knows the correct answer, and the one who can still make a clear and logical decision under pressure.
collegehelp 2 / 11  
Doctor Gregory House alwaysconstantly has his team brainstorm up ideas, makes them run tests to figure outconclude what could be wrong with the patient , but he always seems to "accidentally" find outdiscover exactly what the illness is. He is a grouchy, sarcastic, brilliant jerk that hatesdespises people. His job is all about solving puzzles, which he always finds the answer to.

Through a rigorous process of trial and error they always come to a conclusion at the end of the show. They are obedient and only speak out against house if they have a logical explanation. If the patient's heart stops they manage to find revive the pulse(not sure what this is trying to say). Every mistake they make leads them closer to their conclusion.

now I am no english major but I just added a some words that sounds a bit more elegant.
while they ask awkward questions in front of our parents.

hahahah, I can tell you are an interesting person to talk with... hahah...

Yes, how they argue their opinions is indeed an important point about this show. That is what makes it great. Everyone adheres to logic and plays by the rules of reasonableness; most people do not conerse as these characters do, but we should.

This has too much description of the show. You should take out some of the description and replace it with reflection about your deepest personality and how these characters resonate with you. Give a brief explanation of the characters and then use the rest of the essay to reflect about yourself. Give examples from the show and from your own life.

But you don't get any points for the sentences that tell about the show.

:-)
poisonivy 14 / 102  
I like this essay a lot. It is thoroughly original: from the fact you have chosen to talk about a tv show to the way you make your choice so apt by making a great response to the prompt.

Though, you should talk more about yourself and do it in a parallel way. So, within a paragraph you can describe something about the show and how it connects to you. Also, what do you aspire to become in the future? I think you should include your plans and ambitions a bit too, to make it more personal.

Could you please take a look at mine (short answers)? thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / Admissions Essay - Character of Fiction...#4