Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Adolescence is the precursor to adulthood. - UF Admission Essay

johnny5 1 / -  
Prompt: Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life.

Adolescence - My essay:

Adolescence is the precursor to adulthood. During this important stage of life, many of us experience enriching opportunities that change our lives forever. Some are unpleasant, others are delightful, but all experiences, in one way or another, give us a chance to grow and learn.

My defining moment was stressful and nauseating. At 12 years old, the daunting task of earning my black belt in Tae Kwon Do seemed out of reach, an insurmountable achievement that could only be accomplished by experts in martial arts like my instructor Master Lee, a man whom I so greatly admired and respected. Anxiety coursed through my veins - knowing that I had to perform a series of Tae Kwon Do techniques in succession from memory (known as a poomse) in front of a large crowd made my stomach turn. In addition, I was required to exhibit great dexterity, flexibility, and both physical and emotional strength through various physical exercises, including push-ups, sit-ups, and defensive techniques. However, these tasks were nothing in comparison to the two mile run that I had been dreading for months.

Despite the mountainous workload that I had before me, I decided to make my best effort to attain the prize that I desired. I laid out the overflowing binder of information every afternoon and set a goal that I was not going to let this monstrous task get the best of me. I studied like I had never studied before, and I made sure that every movement was precisely what Master Lee expected of me. When I had mastered the techniques of my poomse, I began training for my two mile run. I ran through my neighborhood with determination for about an hour each day until my entire body ached. As added encouragement and support, my mentor in the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization had participated in triathlons before, and he was excited to help me achieve my goal.

The first day of the test was simple enough. I made an extraordinary score on my poomse, and I felt satisfied that my hard work had paid off. On the following Saturday, I was anxious to complete my physical exercise test and my two mile run. My fitness test was challenging, but I was prepared, and I impressed my instructor. At long last, the moment that had caused me so much grief and stress in the last few months had arrived - and I was ready. As we lined up to begin the race, I glanced at the other runners who were much older than me, but I knew that I was prepared, and that was all that mattered. At Master Lee's signal, we started the race. I ran with confidence and strength, and I noticed myself passing other racers as I gained speed. I felt exhilarated at this, and I cracked a smile that lasted the duration of the race. As I crossed the finish line, I felt an enormous weight lifted off my shoulders.

This childhood achievement is one that I will never forget. It has provided me with a valuable lifelong lesson: no matter how hard something seems to be, with a little effort and motivation, anything is possible. Through this awesome experience, and through my Tae Kwon Do training as a whole, I now have the confidence to succeed in college and eventually in my career. The five principles of Tae Kwon Do are Honesty, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit - and I stand by these principles honorably.

Any corrections would be greatly appreciated!

Home / Undergraduate / Adolescence is the precursor to adulthood. - UF Admission Essay