Advertising major: Finally decided what to be when I grow up

bostonbaab 1 / -  
Hello EF, my name is Bobby C. I am currently a student of one semester at Quinsigamond Community College in Worcester, MA. After talking/dreaming/procrastinating about school for twenty years I am finally heading toward my life long goal. Unfortunately, because of the amount of time it has been, there are many issues to overcome. My diploma got lost in a move and my High School has no record of my graduation. My High School math teacher who is now a guidance counselor has done all she can to prove my graduating, atleast for Quinsigamond. But without documentation for my school of choice (Art Institute of Boston), I am at a stand still. My GPA for my first semester was 3.92 at Quinsigamond. The Art Institute is looking for a portfolio as part of admissions and I haven't taken art in twenty years. My goal is to get official schooling in graphic design and media arts, with an eventual advertising major. I realize that I am jumping around here, I am just losing my drive and focus due to all the hassles I am running into. It seems as though I need to have been in art school to get into art school. What I could use from the forum is some guidance on steps to take and something to get me started on an essay for the Art Institute. Thanks in advance, Bobby C...
Hi Bob, I'm glad you are participating here! Didn't Quinsig get your official transcript when you enrolled? If so, they can verify it.

How weird that the high school lost the diploma. Well, just go find out when GED tests are given at Quinsig, ha ha... how weird. But really, it is unacceptable for a school to lose their records of your graduation. I think you will be able to fnd records of your middle school and primary school, and the guidance counselor remembers you, so, what the heck. It seems that you might be overwhelmed with all that is required, but just get up early and do it... whenever you wake up feeling patient enough to make a lot of calls... this sort of thing is the worst.

Congrats for that excellent GPA...

As you start to write your admissions essay, share with the reader your detailed plan for the future, and show that this art school in worcester is central to your plan as you envision it. Name some prof's you'd like to learn from and some school organizations you are getting involved with. Go get involved with some clubs at the school now, and write about them in the essay. Make the reader feel a sense of responsibility to help you carry out your CLEARLY envisioned, detailed plan.
kenziii 7 / 35  
I struggle to brainstorm essays so I can't help at this step, but can proofread and tweak when you have a first draft.

1. First, if this is what you really want to do, you most certainly can do it! Yes you can!

2. You could briefly talk about your struggle on what to do with your life, why you have chosen this path, and then go into Kevin's idea of a very detailed plan. You seem like you are passionate about this and if you put the effort into the essay, that passion will come across to the reader.

3. You have decided what you want to do as a career, but don't ever grow up! Adulthood sounds terribly dreary.
Haha good advice Mackenzie,

Adulthood sounds terribly dreary.

That depends on whether or not you stay inspired, whether or not you follow the rules!
Artists don't live drearily; artists play on the flying sphere.

Home / Undergraduate / Advertising major: Finally decided what to be when I grow up