"My M.S. in aerospace engineering" - Sop for electrical engineering

youte900 1 / -  
Hi guys, can anyone evaluate my sop for Arizona state university:-

As a high school student I used to participate in several inter-school and intra-school science exhibitions and competitions. Whether creating a model of an engineering system or giving a power point presentation on space science, my interests varied. My liking for science evolved over time and I was constantly encouraged by my teachers and parents, especially my mother who herself happens to be a scientist, guided me into pursuing electrical engineering during my undergraduate studies.

The four years of electrical engineering introduced me to several aspects of electrical engineering like electrical machines, power systems, control systems, power electronics, signal processing and communication. In the third year of my college I was introduced to the subject of power system stability analysis and did a project on "Comparative Study of Different Static Voltage Stability Indices in a Longitudinal Power Supply System". This project was performed under Prof. Sawan Sen, Prof. Subrata Pal and Prof. A.B. Mallick of the esteemed West Bengal University Of Technology Here we evaluated the security aspects of a power system network by determining the weakest bus in a network of a thirty bus system. The weakest bus in a power system network determined the voltage collapse of a particular bus in an E.H.V. (Extra High Voltage) system. Collapse is associated to unforeseen events leading to steady state voltage instability. This was performed by simulating a thirty bus network under five different methods namely Singular value approach, Eigen value approach, LVSI, FVSI and LQF. I learnt programming in MATLAB and by the time I was in the final year I developed a fair amount of expertise writing complex pieces of code.

This project helped me relate my theoretical work to a practical scenario. It provided me with a deeper understanding of the subject and a sound technical base which also aroused a greater liking for the subject. I was also made the project leader in a group of six students which involved a lot of multitasking abilities like co-ordination, planning, management and implementation of the project from its inception to its final execution.

Later that year I had undergone industrial training on "Electrical Instrumentation, Measurement, Testing and Calibration Technique" at the well renowned Electrical Testing and Calibration Laboratory, National Test House under Dr. Avijit Das. Electrical measurements were conducted on several instruments such as Permanent-magnet moving coil (d.c. only), Moving iron, Electrodynamic wattmeters, Thermocouple, Induction ammeters, voltmeters and ammeters, Electrostatic voltmeters and Rectifier voltmeters and milliammeters. Calibration was conducted of a.c. voltage and current, d.c. voltage and current using instruments detecting r.m.s., peak and average values. For d.c high voltage calibration resistive divider, high voltage divider probe and electrostatic voltmeters were used. Calibration of d.c. current was performed by employing a shunt or directly. Calibration of resistance, capacitance and inductance was done by using different bridge methods like Wheatstone Bridge, Current Comparator Resistance Bridge (CCRB) and Digital Ohmmeter

This proved to be a very valuable experience as it provided me with an industry exposure and a chance to showcase my technical knowledge in an industry based environment. I came to know about various applications of electrical engineering and the kind of work that was undertaken in an industry. I could assess the possibilities and limitations of working in an electrical engineering industry in India

I had also attended a summer workshop conducted by the esteemed Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta under Prof. Debasis Saha and Prof. P.S. Dasgupta. It was an "In-Company Training Programme on Network Management". It dealt with networking in Linux, the different servers application and protocols associated with networking, managing IP addresses and security of a network system. By the end of the course we could create our own network from the provided hardware and software, manage IP addresses, establish a network, install the required server application and conduct file transfer among clients and server within the same network. Students from across the country had participated and provided me a great opportunity of interacting with them and helped me establish newer lines of thinking.

Besides academics I have a lot of interests and hobbies. I have been learning to play the guitar for the past four years from the prestigious Calcutta School of Music affiliated to The Royal School of Music, London. I have a profound interest in astronomy and have completed a certificate course in astronomy from the esteemed Birla Planetarium, Calcutta under Dr. Debiprosad Duari. I like to work out in the gym and I am very athletic. I have participated and represented my college and club in various sports and activities such as swimming, lawn tennis, cricket and have also participated in several inter college debates and quizzes. Last summer I had worked with the NGO,CRY (Child Rights and You), and had participated in several of its activities. One such activity was going from school to school and creating awareness among young people about the various abuses that children, especially poor children undergo on a daily basis in India.As a result my job was to motivate them and make them take a stand on child's rights issues.

My exposure to diverse fields in education and co-curricular activities broadened my knowledge and helped me grow as an individual. It also aroused my interest in academics which lead to my coming third in the final year of my college. My interests have always evolved over time and so has my hunger for knowledge. I have always had a great passion for aerospace engineering and space technology in general while growing up as a child. Aerospace industry in India is still in is infancy and it still lacks proper funding in research and also lacks credible infrastructure. Aerospace industry is prospering in the United States with several agencies and companies like Boeing, Lockheed Martin and NASA. I believe that America is the best place to study aerospace engineering.

I want to pursue my M.S. in aerospace engineering from the esteemed School of Mechanical, Aerospace, Chemical and Materials Engineering (MACME), Arizona State University from fall 2010. The Aerospace program being offered here is one of the best in the United States and its modern laboratory facilities and cutting edge research will provide me with a solid foundation in this field of study. The research under the department of Adaptive Intelligent Materials and Systems (AIMS) headed by Dr. Aditi Chattopadhyay is of great interest to me. The research in this department involves the integration of several interdisciplinary areas like mechanical, electrical and computational engineering. Having a sound base in a core engineering discipline like electrical engineering would prove to be an asset if I were given the opportunity to work in this department.

On returning to India after pursuing my M.S. in aerospace engineering, the knowledge that I have received in this field would be of great benefit to the aerospace industry in India. As such I would be well equipped to make a certain amount of impact on both society and economy. I look forward to being accepted to your prestigious university with full financial aid.
...especially my mother who herself happens to be a scientist. Together, they guided me into pursuing electrical engineering during my undergraduate studies.

...by the time I was in the final year, I had developed a fair amount...

Last summer I had worked with the NGO,CRY (Child Rights and You), and had participated in several of its activities.

Aerospace industry in India is still in its infancy...

The research conducted in the department of Adaptive Intelligent Materials and Systems (AIMS) headed by Dr. Aditi Chattopadhyay is of great interest to me. This sentence is great!

Anyone can tell by your essay, that you are passionate about your chosen field of study and very intelligent. They will be lucky to have you!

Home / Undergraduate / "My M.S. in aerospace engineering" - Sop for electrical engineering