'an affinity for solving problems' - Cornell Supplement Engineering

Taylor52594 1 / -  
This is due tomorrow at midnight.
Questions:
Is it too generic?
It is a little over the limit presently. Some trimming suggestions would be nice.

Throughout my life, I have had an affinity for solving problems, whether they are my own, my friends, or customers at the local hardware store I work at. It is no surprise that I am pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering. From my experience with solving problems, I have learned that I must have/obtain three things: knowledge and background on the problem, experience with a similar issue in my own life, and collaboration from a diverse group of people. This method has been a staple of my life in high school and Cornell Engineering would facilitate my comprehension of how engineering works and how I can incorporate this 'method' into engineering issues that I wish to undertake.

For example, when medication is taken, some of it is absorbed by the body and utilized but the majority of it passes through the body as waste and is discharged to local sewage treatment plants. Some of the chemicals present cannot be treated fully by sewage treatment plants or river water purification plants. I am interested in exploring the current treatment processes so I can understand why the chemicals are persistent and are becoming a part of our water supply. Moreover, I am interested in researching a possible solution to the issue, whether it entails a larger emphasis on biodegradable medication or an economically viable treatment process.

In order to begin tackling this issue, I will need to understand why the chemicals are becoming a part of our water supply. (combine?) To do this, I will need knowledge specific to the properties of the chemicals and the treatment processes currently utilized. Cornell University is recognized as an extremely rigorous engineering institution and I am certain I will be given an indispensable education to gain this knowledge. The environment of especially driven and intelligent students would serve as further motivation to work hard both inside and outside of the classroom toward my understanding of this issue.

It does not matter how much knowledge I attain on chemistry, engineering, and water treatment plants if I cannot apply it through hands-on experience; this has been my favorite part of my education thus far. The state-of-the-art facilities and incredibly well funded and revered undergraduate research opportunities at Cornell would assist this venture outside of the classroom. (wording) ''Statement about inquisitive nature (wanting to understand the 'why') Cornell University would finally give me the resources necessary to pursue answers to many of the questions I have had, including this one.

In addition to knowledge and hands-on experience, collaboration is quintessential when seeking additional insight. My dad, a chemical engineer, has stressed that a plethora of engineering divisions must work together toward one common solution. Cornell Engineering offers me an opportunity to do that with the 13 different engineering programs offered. For example, it would be enlightening to collaborate with mechanical and materials engineers with respect to an improved water treatment process. The intelligence gained would be invaluable.

All in all, it takes a lot of effort, cooperation, and insight to turn an engineering idea into reality. The issue of chemically polluted water by means of medication is one that is extremely relevant; research has linked long term health effects to it. Cornell Engineering would provide me the resources necessary to explore what it takes to advance such an idea.
Infinity 3 / 10  
I would defiantly say it is way too generic you don't mention any thing real Cornell-only. replace MIT or Berkeley in and the essay still applies try to mention specific Cornell programs. i am applying to Cornell engineering to and know how hard this is. try going to Cornell's website and looking at student resources. it lists some programs unique to Cornell.

i would say the safe place to cut is the top two paragraphs. another option is changing your 3-5 paragraphs into one large one.
good luck

Home / Undergraduate / 'an affinity for solving problems' - Cornell Supplement Engineering