"affluent academic resources and love of history" - What influenced you to apply GW?

ylee11 7 / 11  
When I was a little girl, I used to fall asleep in my dad's arms, as he read Greek mythology. As I aged, I especially enjoyed reading history; to me, it was an enormous fountain that I could not stop drinking. Later, I find history is all about a reflection of an individual - how he or she views the world. One can quickly ignore parts he thinks are needless and focus on a specific incident. Yet, at the same time, it is a harsh truth that most histories are written by stronger individuals. Stories are descended by the winners, honoring their conquests and lionizing their heroes. I find myself strongly intrigued by both histories: the ignored and the highlighted. My interest in the overlooked history is a curiosity of the prospective scholar in this field. Yet, my initiative attracted by the spotlighted history is an ambition of the future leader of the world. George Washington is the institution that can educate both.

George Washington's affluent academic resources will build the groundwork for a thorough understanding of my study to prepare me comprehending histories that are different, unique, and complete. Liberal and active interactions between faculties and students will enlighten me with a variety of perspectives. I will be able to explore further activities, such as independent researches on nuclear weapons, internships in diverse organizations, or debating clubs on political policies, to benefit my knowledge and experience.

History has been a constant motivation to the citizens of the world, encouraging competitions and conquests. Everyone dreams of making his marks on history but few have achieved. George Washington already has cultivated people of that marks and proved it successful. Although making my mark is ultimately my responsibility, George Washington can direct me to reach this honor. Its diverse student activities, international programs and all other global opportunities will train me to obtain essential qualities of leaders in the 21st century. My active participation in sports, club activities, in and out campus extracurricular will teach me how to communicate, understand, and integrate ones who are different. I believe George Washington is the adequate place to leave my first pages of marks on history.

My endless love of history tells that history itself is dynamic and fluxional. It tells us that we are not completely independent from our past, as it is what has formed us. Infinite possibilities of human behaviors are revealed. Here, I revealed my possibility. I could not resist this fascinating subject that nurtured this world. Now, I chose George Washington as a place to nurture my world.

Thanks for any critiques!
Ban Drowne 1 / 10 4  
Hey ylee11, I am truly terrible at writing but here's my two cents

I really liked it and thought that it showed your passion for history, why you want to go to GW, and what you want to accomplish there. I thought that two sentences were a bitch sketchy though...

"Later, I found that history is all about a reflection of an individual- how one views the world. One can quickly ignore parts that seem needless..."

Other than that, I thought it was great!

If you can, read my common app essay. I'm in the same boat ... due tomorrow.

Dan.

Home / Undergraduate / "affluent academic resources and love of history" - What influenced you to apply GW?