The not-so-age-old question ; UVA Supp; "To tweet or not to tweet?"

SilverKnight 15 / 55 4  
Will gladly welcome any criticism.

To tweet or not to tweet?

Ah, the not-so-age-old question on the merits of social media. It seems that every day you hear about or see someone posting things that should never be in public. Also, it appears that many pop icons are notorious for their lewd, irreverent, and inappropriate posts on Twitter. However, saying that social media should be done away with because it's a possible platform for the spread of negative influence is entirely false. Just as easily as it can be used to spread bad things, social media can be used to spread very positive things. For example, if someone wants to point out a wrong that needs to be righted, then all he or she has to do is take it to Twitter or Facebook and the people who see that post can share it with others, who in turn share it with even more people. Eventually, the topic becomes well known and brings up the possibility of change. Also, when negative things are posted, such as inappropriate racial comments, drunken escapades, and sexually suggestive pictures, the blame does not fall on the social medium they decide to use. That would be like saying that the microphone is at fault for recording an inappropriate statement or that the camera is at fault for taking a suggestive picture. At the end of the day, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to post something positive or something negative.
AmberCommerce 2 / 4 1  
I'm a current UVa student... and I feel like these essays are a way for the admission officers to learn something about you. A way for you to stand out. This essay is neither interesting nor personal.. try to answer to tie in a personal experience and how it helped you realize/learn something...
OP SilverKnight 15 / 55 4  
I completely I agree with you; my essay is completely uninspiring, which was a result of feeling very uninspired when I wrote it.
Utau4928 5 / 17 1  
It is much better than the first post, but I suggest that you can keep your point about that the media itself is not bad, it is the people that decided how to use it, and we all should use it wisely.

Home / Undergraduate / The not-so-age-old question ; UVA Supp; "To tweet or not to tweet?"