"Akari" - "Do you like Japanese boys?"

taura 2 / 4  
This is still a rather rough essay, any and all suggestions would be extremely helpful. I know it's far from perfect, but I need it to be as good as possible to meet end of year deadlines. Thank you.

Prompt: Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

Akari turned to me and asked in her broken English, "Do you think Japanese boys are cute?"

I tried to mask my uncertainty. At thirteen, I'd given little thought to such things, but I didn't want to seem immature. Unsure of how to answer, I told her that I had never met any. She continued,

"What kind of boys do you like?"

Akari's normally soft voice was full of confidence, and for once her eyes did not dart down to her pocket translator. I swallowed uncomfortably.

"Oh, uh... tall, dark, and handsome."

I bit my tongue, and silently berated myself for my unoriginality, but Akari only nodded knowingly. Perhaps 'tall, dark, and handsome' wasn't such a cliché in Japan.

It's not often you experience a foreign culture without leaving home, yet in 2010 I was magically transported to Japan when Akari and her ESL class ventured into my hometown for a week of English immersion.

The day we met, Akari spoke very little. I worried that her silence meant she didn't like me. I spent the day vacillating between nervous chatter and awkward silence. Thankfully, this didn't last long.

As Akari and I sat together in church the next morning, neither of us really listening to the sermon, Akari slipped me a note written on the church bulletin. To my surprise, Akari's writing revealed a quick and witty personality, in stark contrast to the quiet girl who sat beside me. Our conversation took off, we quickly filled both sides of our paper with jokes and cute doodles. We discovered that we listened to many of the same American pop stars, although I didn't know any of the Japanese artists she mentioned. By the time church service ended, Akari's soft smile and light laughter told me I had a new friend.

After Akari flew back to Japan, we wrote each other often and our shared interests multiplied. At first only American culture was familiar to the both of us, but as I learned more about Japanese culture, my fascination increased. My appreciation for Japanese media inspired me to imitate the unique art style. As I practiced the techniques of "manga" artists, my personal art style evolved. Before I met Akari, I had little interest in art aside from drawing stick figure battles with my brother. Now the same church bulletins upon which Akari and I had established our friendship became subject to my artistic endeavors week after week. In my high school years, art became a central part of who I am, allowing me to connect with other art enthusiasts. When I receive compliments on my drawings, I often remind people that talent is a pursued interest. Akari is the one I have to thank for awakening that interest in me.

It's hard to say how different I'd be if Akari and I had never met. My exposure to Japanese culture crafted my interests in many areas from television, to art, to language. When I began studying Japanese, I did not anticipate it being particularly useful in the US. However, my uncommon interests resulted in instant connections and friendships with other like minded people. Akari lead me to discover my passion for languages, arts, and cultures. When I visit her in Hiroshima one day, I'll be sure to tell her "Arigato gozaimasu, Akari-chan." (Thank you, my dear friend.)
rtan05 5 / 32 3  
Introduce who Akari is in your life.

There's no central identity of you, all i see is the experiences you had and its importance but there's no...YOU
nkp28 1 / 20 1  
I think it would be beneficial to elaborate on how your experience with Akari shaped you and how you've used that experience going forward. I echo the comment written before me ^
OP taura 2 / 4  
Thank you for your assistance everyone!

Home / Undergraduate / "Akari" - "Do you like Japanese boys?"