'amazed by electricity' - Petroleum engineering Admission Essay

samydude 1 / -  
I am keen to study Engineering at the Texas A&M University at Qatar. "Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them" (-James A. Michener) and that is what I am, a doer, a person who gets things done with vigor and efficiency. My reason for taking up Engineering first up has been simply a manifestation of my own selfishness.

The enormous numbers of challenges thrown out by rapid development in science and technology have made me choose engineering as my future. I take this opportunity to describe my educational background and career objectives that motivated me to pursue a career in engineering industry.

"Millions of people saw an apple fall, but Newton was the one who thought HOW "And that is mainly what takes me towards engineering, because I want to know "HOW". How can tones and tones of metal fly through the skies? How buildings stand tall above the clouds and built beneath the ground? How does electricity travel? How the earth is kept in its orbit? And the list goes on...

Life is a constant learning experience, in which everyday provides an opportunity for all of us to learn more. By becoming an engineer, this is what I hope to achieve in my life as well.

I have always been amazed by electricity. I remember when I was young I always wondered "what's going on behind that electrical socket". Curiosity took over me. I poked my finger into the electric socket and got an electric shock. Although it was quite agonizing, I learned from my experience, I learned that electricity is dangerous yet valuable.

It is said that Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes, from those mistakes is that we move forward. I have always been interested in how things fit together and work together, a screw and its exact screwdriver, since an early age I was into puzzles. I have always enjoyed science and have endeavored and achieved many honors in it, physics being my primary interest. I recall often opening numerous devices to observe the contraptions that lay within.

I have a positive attitude towards schoolwork and aim to do the best of my ability. My IGCSE results were superb with an ace in physics. Having thoroughly enjoyed physics and mathematics at IGCSE level; I then chose to advance my understanding and took these subjects at AS level along with AS Information technology and AS Biology. Physics and maths has helped me gain an understanding of the world and how it works, moreover it has also given me an appreciation of how engineers work. I have learnt how the laws of physics can be applied to real life and work out problems; this has given me a much broader understanding of the world and made it possible for me to understand the many processes affecting it.

A proportion of my spare time has been spent at a local fitness club maintaining a level of fitness. I have also spent some after school time in playing badminton with my fellow mates and I have also been a participant in football practice. In year 10, I played for my school's cricket team. Also when I was in year 8, I learned how to play the acoustic guitar, this had been a very enjoyable activity.

Furthermore I have helped my tutor in an annual school fair, which is like a fund raiser event held annually. Moreover I have helped in charity work; recently I walked for the people suffering from diabetes and raised money for their charity. Other than that I was a participant in the International Award held each year by our school. I was assigned to a team, in which I was voted to be the pacesetter, the forerunner, the leader of the group. I had to arrange the whole camping trip, get the utilities, the tents. It all went smooth and I am proud of my award.

Recently, there has been major focus on the world energy conservation and adverse effects of environmental pollution causes by oil and gas exploration. This, petrol, oil and energy is more in demand than ever. That is why I have decided to pursue my graduate studies in the field of petroleum engineering.

I now feel that I am ready for the academic demands of university life, and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead. I believe I can achieve my goals through the study at your university that is well know and well recognized globally, this would be another successful step-up on my journey because I believe that success is a journey not a destination, and I would like to travel as far as possible on my journey in my lifetime and leave a mark in history.
I'll put a period after his quote here:

"Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers do them" (-James A. Michener). That is what I am, a doer, a person who gets things done with vigor and efficiency. My reason for taking up Engineering first up has been simply a manifestation of my own selfishness.

Wow, very interesting! Students don't usually open with a mention of selfishness!!

No errors, really. You can use the active voice here, and specify "significant" proportion:

I have spent a significant proportion of my spare time at a local fitness club maintaining a level of fitness.

Oh, here is an error:

I believe I can achieve my goals with the empowerment that I will receive as a student within your university -- an institution that is well known and well recognized globally. This would be another successful ...

Good luck!!!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'amazed by electricity' - Petroleum engineering Admission Essay