AMAZING OPPORTUNITY for LOW INCOME STUDENTS; Upward Bound Bridgee

rachael13 2 / 7  
I am applying to be come a Bridgee student for Upward Bound. Upward Bound is a college-preparation program for first-generation students that are low-income. If I am able to become a Bridgee then I will have the opportunity to take 2 college classes (6 credits) for free. It is an amazing opportunity. The whole program is. There are about 20 seniors this year and there will only be 3 bridgee students. Not everyone will probably apply, but one may never know. The application contains 4 essay questions and a summer project proposal to benefit the Upward Bound program in some way. I have an unfortunate feeling that I'm going to end up repeating myself a bit in the essay questions. However, I have no idea how to even begin to answer the question "Why do you deserve this?" I believe everyone in the program deserves it, we're all low-income and college bound. I'm not sure how I could make myself stand out from saying the same reason as everyone else. Any suggestions? I'm not even sure how to even write it. I'm not used to having to write about myself.

Also, I can't think of a good idea for the summer project proposal. Examples that they listed was "making a powerpoint for something," but I want something more appealing and creative. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Why do you deserve this?

I hate that question so much... My advice would be to treat as "Why it would mean the world to me to get this?" not as "What makes me more special than any of my competitors?" because everyone might qualify financially, but everyone has different passions. Write what you plan to do with it. How will you use that two-class opportunity to make your dreams come true, to prove something to yourself or to others, to help you reach the future you want for yourself, or to help you make the impact you want to make on the world?

What you write doesn't have to be as intense as the question sounds (Avoid words like "passionate," "determination," "driven," etc.), but to avoid the cliched answers ("I want to become a doctor," "I want to end world hunger," etc.), you have to dig deep and find the answer that only you have.

As for your project proposal, I think a PowerPoint might be the best (easy, accessible through the Internet), especially if they want you to make a presentation with it, but you could also do a poster or a video, I guess.
OP rachael13 2 / 7  
Thanks for the input. I know that I want to be a teacher (ever since the 3rd grade :D) , but I was going to incorporate that into the question about "What's your defnition of a role model? How have you been a role model in the past? How do you plan on being one in the future?" I just need to make sure I don't end up repeating myself in the questions because the answers could be rather similar.

For the project proposal, there's no restrictions on what it can be. It's very openended. I just want an idea that is outside the box, grabs their attention, and something that could truly give back to this amazing program. I want something different. I'm not sure what exactly.

Would it be easier if I attached the actual application?
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  

Yes, please!
OP rachael13 2 / 7  
Dear Upward Bound Senior,

Enclosed please find the Bridge Student Application for the summer of 2013. There are many seniors who are quite deserving of this honor. We strongly encourage those students to apply who have been dedicated to their success and who have capitalized on all of Upward Bound's resources in the achievement of their own goals over the past three or four years. The Upward Bound Program is not the reason for any student's success, or failure to succeed. YOU need to take complete ownership of your successes and your challenges in life. However, you made the choice to join this program, and you also made your choices along the way on how many of our opportunities you would utilize in achieving your goals. The Bridge Program is the last "official" opportunity that we have to offer to you; we hope that you will take advantage of this opportunity to the fullest extent.

It is important that your application is COMPLETED by the deadline of February 25, 2013. Incomplete applications will not be considered. In order for your application to be complete, use the following checklist as a guideline.

Summer Project Proposal
The classes that UB Bridge students take begin on June 10, prior to the start date of the regular UB Summer Academy, and they conclude on July 12, prior to the end of the regular UB Summer Academy. This leaves a span of two weeks in which the Bridge Students are living on campus, but are not enrolled in classes. Because of this fact, the Upward Bound program has instituted a requirement that Bridge Students plan and complete a Summer Project over the span of the seven (7) weeks that they are living on campus. Examples of past successful summer projects that epitomize valuable contributions to the UB Program include: scanning and organizing old photos into a movie for the annual Alumni Reunion, creating a recruitment PowerPoint or movie that would attract new students to UB, beginning a manual/guidebook for the Bridge Program, creating a "scrapbook" featuring artifacts from the history of the program, organizing a community service effort involving other UBers, planning a large group educational experience (activity, presentation, etc.) for the entire UB Program, planning a fundraising experience, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Your task is to create a proposal for a possible project that you would complete if you were chosen to be a Bridge Student for the Summer Academy 2013. You may create a proposal that you would complete as an individual, or you may also plan to work collaboratively with other Bridgees on a project. The proposal form is enclosed with this application. All Bridge Summer Projects will be approved and finalized prior to the start of the program, and they will be completed with the continual guidance and supervision of the UB Director.

Title of Project: ______________________________________________________________________ _
Check One:  Individual Project  Group Project
Goals/Objectives of Project (three minimum):
Brief Description of Project (Include within your description why this project is of value to the UB Program)
Resources Needed for Successful Completion of Project (supplies, people involved, space, transportation)

Essay Questions
On separate sheets of paper, please type your answers to the following questions. Title each page with the question(s) and your name. Make sure that you read the question carefully, answer completely what is asked, and take adequate time to craft your response.

1. Why do you deserve to be chosen as a Bridge Student? (Please be specific and provide concrete information and examples related to your accomplishments. Avoid discussing other potential applicants' positive/negative qualities.)

2. If you are chosen to be a Bridge Student, what are three goals that you have for the experience? (Make sure that they are SMART goals!)

3. Define the term role model. In what ways have you served as a role model in the past, and how might you expand your service as a role model for your fellow Upward Bound students as a Bridge Student this summer?

(Can other students look up to you because of your attitude, accomplishments, adherence to policies, and the way that
you treat other people?)

4. Identify one area in your life (academic performance, attendance, behavior, etc.) that you feel you need to
improve, and provide a brief plan outlining how you will address improvement in this area. Include ways in which you feel that the UB staff could help you in your effort to improve during this year's Summer Academy.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Hmmm... I'm not the most creative person out there, but it depends on whether you want to have UB reach out to the community or teach them something, or whether you want to make the people in UB closer, or whether you want to bring other people to UB. I don't know what kinds of things you like to do or are good at, whether you'd rather plan an event or create something, so that part has to be up to you...

As for your goal to be a teacher, I think it doesn't matter if you repeat yourself a little. You don't have to present four different parts of yourself; your answers can complement each other. The first one would maybe have to have more emphasis on what you want to teach, what kinds of things you've done to start working on that goal, as well as any accomplishments you've earned. The third one would maybe be more of a narrative about how you've been a role model to others.
OP rachael13 2 / 7  
I think I would like to devise a way to try to bring people in UB closer.

Thank you for the ideas! It gives me something to reflect on. I'm going to try to create a rough draft on it by tomorrow.

Home / Undergraduate / AMAZING OPPORTUNITY for LOW INCOME STUDENTS; Upward Bound Bridgee