'Ambiguity ' - University of Virginia (favorite word)

alice955 3 / 2  
What is your favorite word and why?

Ambiguity seems to bother some, and understandably so. The lack to understanding and a clear vision is, at times, threatening to me, too. Yet, I find a strange peace in the word. I am aware the world is still ambiguous to me, as I am still too young to understand it. But in this murkiness, in the uncertainty of my future, I find the excitement of possibilities and opportunities. This fits well with my academic and personal ambitions, as it leaves room for me to explore different fields of knowledge, especially in a university level, where ambiguity is inevitable.

In fact, the considerable ambiguity in great pieces of literature is what draws me to them most. I like that there are many layers to find and interpretations to consider. This ambiguous nature of literature also allow me to make wrong assumptions and generalizations, as I have often and still often make, and learn from them. I believe ambiguity on various subject matters does not expand the gap between distinctive people, but narrows it, as it allows us to be open to discussion and acknowledge the various viewpoints, which I often take part of in English classes. These are the experiences that allow me to connect with others and grow as a student.

I hope to continue my intellectual pursuit in the University of Virginia, in which there is no ambiguity in its ability to provide the opportunity I need to do so.

Please give suggestions. thank you!
Ambiguity seems to bother some, and this is understandable .

The ambiguous nature of literature also enables me to make wrong assumptions and generalizations, as I have often and still often make, and learn from them.

This is great! You should read about how Milton Erickson, the father of clinical hypnosis, used ambiguity to elicit a response in the listener's mind -- rather than making statements outright. Ambiguity is, for you, an empty space to be filled by something. Something arises in the mind to fill in blanks left by persuasive speakers!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Ambiguity ' - University of Virginia (favorite word)