'Ambition to speak a second language fluently' - for English study program

akbarovsky 1 / -  
Write a clear and detailed description of your reason why you would like to participate in this English study program. This statement should not be a mere listing of facts and should include information about your background education, practical experience, special interests, and your purpose in applying to studying English in the United States. You may also choose to describe any significant influences on your personal and educational development.

Please correct my essay :)

My greatest ambition since childhood is to speak a second language fluently. I believe that ability in foreign languages is a vital skill to be possessed in the modern world. My passion for languages spoken around the world has driven me to study languages at university. It started when I was in primary school as I began to learn English for the first time. I found it fascinating, and that fascination has never left me, it has only increased.

When graduated high school, I accepted in Russian Studies of University of Indonesia, but I have no previous knowledge of Russian except a few of Cyrillic alphabet that I think is very unique. This is a difficult challenge but it is one that I am excited and willing to tackle. Languages are not just education for me but a key part of me personally. Learning Russian, which is one of the most difficult languages in the world, make me understood that learning a language is not a short term goal, but a lifetime commitment. Therefore I don't stop learning English while I'm learning Russian. Taking English course has increased my understanding in English grammar, but I think it's not enough to study English twice a week. Hence in my spare time, I learn English by myself and ask for my friend's help. I believe that Indonesia English Language Study Program can strengthen my English language skills.

Exposure to literature and native speakers is the key element in any language and cultural study. Indonesia English Language Study Program would provide me with both of these vital elements and give me the opportunity to study English and American culture. My eagerness to apply this scholarship is due to the fact that I am very keen to further my knowledge of languages and get the qualifications I need so that I can take my passion and turn it into my career. The ability to speak in different languages opens up a whole new set of opportunities and is excellent for ones personal development. Fluency in a number of languages will improve my knowledge and enable me to fulfill my ambition to gain my future dream: to work internationally in an ambassadorial role and become an interpreter.

As a student at Faculty of Humanities of University of Indonesia, I love learning about human and their culture. I would love to join Indonesia English Language Study Program to make my eyes opened with the American language and culture. Learning a language is not only learning the grammar and structure, but also learning the culture. Language provides an insight into all aspects of a countries culture and I find this is very interesting. I have learned that language study reaches beyond a lifetime committed to grammar and word memorization; it relies on understanding the common concerns of its speakers. Someone has to be in a community that speaks the language to be fluent in that language. We can't use a language properly if we don't know the culture where it is spoken: we have to be in American society to learn the American language and culture. I like to learn the way American speaking, thinking, and doing things.

I would not hesitate to seize the opportunity to spend a couple weeks in this program and become a part of American culture. It would be an experience that would benefit all aspects of my development both academically and personally. I wish to study English in United States not only to improve my English skill, but also help me understand the world better. It is an enlightening adventure that will help me find my purpose in this world and become the best I can be.
Guest /  
That's a pretty solid essay, I like it! I don't see anything to improve on to be honest. Good luck!!!!!! :D

Home / Undergraduate / 'Ambition to speak a second language fluently' - for English study program